Ethanol

When I bought a 5 speed accord a year ago I already expected average mileage & got it @ 30 mpg.After discovering they were again offering non-ethanol gas my mpg immediately jumped to 35.If we use more gasoline to get to where we’re going with ethanol how are we less dependant on oil?

You Got Here A Little Late, But “Bingo,” . . . Exactly !
I’m From The Government. I’m Here To Help !

Corn belongs on the dinner table, not in one’s gas tank.

CSA

“Corn belongs on the dinner table, not in one’s gas tank”.

Technically, one puts corn squeezings in the gas tank. I would argue that corn squeezings belong in a jug, not the gas tank.

The benefit is in reduced ozone levels in many areas of the country. Ozone is part of photo chemical smog and damages the lungs. People with asthma and heart disease can die due to high ozone. Healthy people can feel it somewhat depending how high it goes. The other additive mtbe turns out to cause major issues if it leaks into ground water(impossible to remove) and is toxic itself. Ethanol can also be toxic but most people do ok with it.

We’re not. Also consider all the petroleum required to grow the corn and turn it into ethanol. Ethanol is a scam perpetuated by politicians and Big Ag.

Sorry to say it, but there are financial interest in both oil and ethanol. Those fanatical interest tend to disrupt the market place and as often as not actually end up causing more pollution. Far too much corporate influence means decisions based on who has political power not what will benefit the general public or reduce pollution.

I have and still have the option of running 10% ethanol or no ethanol gasoline and seriously doubt your large increase in fuel mileage. There are variables, a few of which are traffic conditions, weather, and tank fill level. I typically get about 3 or 4% less fuel mileage with 10% ethanol gasoline.

I too don’t like being required to buy ethanol gasoline but we need to have an alternative going for us to let the oil cartels know that we have an alternative motor vehicle fuel supply in place that can be increased if needed to offset their monopoly on our motor vehicle fuel supplies. The ethanol industry needs to be nurtured with tax subsidies until it can stand on its own. When the making of ethanol from something other than corn is finally developed, the corn farmers may have had their day in the economic sun, so to speak.

Many who speak of the economic negatives of ethanol from corn conveniently ignore the residual distillers grain that has protein that is fed to livestock.

I’ll Drink To That !

CSA

Ethanol from sugar cane makes far more sense but imported ethanol has a 52 cents a gallon duty to protect out corn farmers…

If ethanol was removed from gasoline tomorrow, gasoline would immediately go into shortage and you would pay $6 a gallon for it…Our refineries can not increase their production by 10%. Ethanol is here to stay…

A few months ago, Al Global Warming Inventing the Internet Gore came out and said he only voted for ethanol because it would help him in Iowa and it was a mistake.

Really?

Wha Who?

“The ethanol industry needs to be nurtured with tax subsidies until it can stand on its own.”

Really? Like the mohair industry?

Your numbers don’t make sense. It makes sense that the OP’s mileage went up when he shifted to 100% gasoline as the good lord intended because gasoline is more energy dense than ethanol.

There are no oil cartels, and we get most of our oil from Canada (Enemy to the North). Oil is a fungible commodity and U.S. actions aren’t going to affect the global market price (barring another war or some other event that makes oil futures go kerflooey).

Does anyone notice the similarities between the hype over ethanol and the plug-in electric? Ethanol was marketed as the answer to dependency on foreign oil and fossil fuel pollution. It would be cheap, renewable, benefit American business, hold the oil cartels at bay and improve our trade balance. The reality fell far short of the promise. For good or ill ethanol is probably here to stay. The plug-in electric hybrid may be here to stay. Improvements in technology can make both more viable. One thing is certain we will pay more for less.

If ethanol was removed from gasoline tomorrow, gasoline would immediately go into shortage and you would pay $6 a gallon for it…

Probably because the oil companies REFUSE to build any new refineries…OR even allow anyone else to build one. Just ask ex Conservative President Candidate Pat Robertson. He tried to buy one of the old plants and refurbish it.

The last refinery built in the US was 1976.

I’m sorry to disagree.I do round up for brevity but I verified the mileage repeatedly berore & after.Even if cars get half the increase I found [say 8%] the price difference wouldn’t justify. The policy doesn’t seem to be well thought out.How do we save anything when average cars have to use more of it?

Quote from impala61: “Your numbers don’t make sense. It makes sense that the OP’s mileage went up when he shifted to 100% gasoline…” Unquote

impala61, read my post again. We do agree that ethanol gives less fuel mileage.

I do not agree that the good lord takes sides with this issue as He has more important things to attend to. Canada is not our enemy. Oil is a commodity but is not fungible as crude oils are not all of the same quality.

I didn’t mean to reply to Mr Impala.I think it was Mr.WhaWho.Sorry.

Ethanol as an alternate fuel source is one thing…ethanol as a fuel additive is another. To meet EPA standards set for some states - fuel needs an oxygenater. Ethanol is one. MBTE is another. MBTE is petroleum based. Ethanol is agriculture based. MBTE also has a problem in that if it leaks into the water…it DOESN’T break down. Ethanol does…and is no where near as toxic as MBTE.

Yes, I believe that ethanol is used because of the toxicity isues with MBTE. There may have been rationalizations concerning other issues offered by ethanol advocates, but ground water poisoning is what got it MBTE out of gasoline.

Ethanol does…and is no where near as toxic as MBTE.

What’s your definition of “no where near as toxic”? The reason I ask is that Ethanol is pretty toxic, and it only takes about 2.5x as much to kill you as MTBE.
The LD50 for MTBE is about 4g/kg.
The LD50 for Ethanol is about 10g/kg.

In the grand scheme of things some of the other stuff in gasoline is a lot worse for you then either Ethanol or MTBE.