Gosh I need HELP!

this blonde has a 2001 Chrysler Convertible with 100,800 miles on it. Every so often for the past 25,000 miles the gear shift display? (PND123) LCD display will get boxes around the whole display instead of just one, and the check engine light will come on solid. Usually I am able to play with the gears alittle, and ‘disengage?’ the boxes that seem to stick and the car drives just fine. However, now the damn boxes are here to stay, car transmission seems stuck, and I can’t seem to drive much over the speed of 45 mph. I am guessing that speed because now my speedometer needle doesn’t move past 10 mph. What’s a blonde to do? I need a white knight to save me with some good advice. I did have a mechanic do a quick check on my transmission oil and it was not exceedingly low. Please HELP!!!

Your car is trying its best to inform you it has a problem and you seem determined to avoid bringing it to a shop. It’s much the same way some people with a toothache avoid the dentist.

It’s time to make an appointment. 'Way past time, in fact. I won’t try to guess what’s wrong with your car or how to fix it. Even if someone here could pinpoint the repair to “replace the veeblefetzer” you’d still need someone to do it for you. Go ask your friends and co-workers for the name of a reliable repair shop. Do so today.

Mr. Meehan on this board gives the best analogy about a Check Engine Light being illiuminated. He compares it to a kid in class waving their hand to get the teacher’s attention. The car is asking for your attention by turning this light on.
Drop by a local AutoZone, Advance Auto, Checkers, etc. and have them pull the codes. They will do this for you free and it only takes a few minutes. Post any results back here for further discussion.

My feeling is that you will probably get a code for a speed sensor (VSS), which is not terribly major. Hope that helps.

OK guys… thanks for your comments so far. Went to AutoZone when I found out they would find out what the check engine light code was. Got TWO codes… P1698 Definition ECM fault— no CCD message from TCM
Explanation Failed- ECM; Probable causes 1. Open CCD bus line 2. Failed TCM

Other code: P0700 Definition: Transaxle control system fault; Explanation - ECM received a signal that the transaxle control module has a fault; Probable Causes: 1. shorted or open circuit within transaxle 2. Failure of transaxle control module

HELP ME PLEASE. Took those error codes to my mechanic place, which of course, they frowned upon. Said they had never heard of P1698 error.

Can you guys give me any further guidance before some shop probably takes advantage of me??? Many thanks.

OK guys… thanks for your comments so far. Went to AutoZone when I found out they would find out what the check engine light code was. Got TWO codes… P1698 Definition ECM fault— no CCD message from TCM
Explanation Failed- ECM; Probable causes 1. Open CCD bus line 2. Failed TCM

Other code: P0700 Definition: Transaxle control system fault; Explanation - ECM received a signal that the transaxle control module has a fault; Probable Causes: 1. shorted or open circuit within transaxle 2. Failure of transaxle control module

HELP ME PLEASE. Took those error codes to my mechanic place, which of course, they frowned upon. Said they had never heard of P1698 error.

Can you guys give me any further guidance before some shop probably takes advantage of me??? Many thanks.

My first advice is find a new mechanic. If they don’t know what the codes mean, and don’t believe them, they will never fix this. It is pretty clearly saying the transmission control module is not talking to the engine control module. This may be due to a loose connection or a bad module. Take it to someone else. You may want to check out the “Mechanics Files” on the CarTalk home page to find a better place. Good luck.

I MIGHT have a problem with my Overdrive function… that’s what the guy at Aamco said over the phone. Does that sound like a possibility to anyone out there??? thanks.

Yes, it’s possible, but you are going to have to find a good competent mechanic and have it diagnosed properly. All we can do is take shots in the dark. The indications you quoted say it’s a problem in between the TCM and ECM, but calling places on the phone and asking here isn’t going to narrow it down any further.

well took it to Aamco today and they seem to think they need to replace the TCM… I assume that is the transaxle control module and that is some kind of computer part. They have to order the part and are putting it in on Friday… charge being $395. Does that seem in line? Hopefully that is it and not a transmission problem! thanks for anyone’s input or thoughts…

The $395 sounds about right. Is that the part only, or does that include installation? I’m not a big fan of AAMCO, but I suspect like most chains it will depend on the local manager how good a shop it is. Most AAMCOs have the reputation of telling everyone they need a transmission rebuild, if they haven’t already said that, then you may have found a good one.

Please post back how this works out for you.

thanks so much for all that have offered advice and concern. I am glad to report that I am ‘back on the road again.’ Took it to a good Aamoco (guess I lucked out) and they surmissed it was the TCM (transaxle computer module). Was a little nervous because they thought they ‘would start’ with that due to the error code readings. Apparently, once you get into transmission area, it can be a whole lot of things. Anyway, long story short, they replaced that, took it for a road test; even a second road test with me in it. And away I went. They kept it under $400 as somewhat promised. I think the part was refurbished but the price included installation and although I had to wait a day for the part, I was out of there before noon of the next day. I can’t complain… knock on wood. Aamco treated me right. Now if I can only keep this car running till May… 101K on it now… because I have my eye on someone else’s leased car and their lease comes up in May. HOWEVER, I do have a hot smell (like rubber burning slightly and slight smoke) that seems to be coming from the left back of the engine. I recently had an engine light on for something and the temp gauge was high and they took the manifold off, replaced some valve and flushed my radiator. I don’t think the hot smell is coming from that though, although no more engine light or high temp. Any ideas on that issue? Many thanks, as always… take care.

go to the mechanix files, on the main page of this web site. look up a reputable mechanic near you. you can just enter your ZIP code. read the reviews and take the car there. http://www.cartalk.com/content/mechx/

to be honest with you, after reading your posts it appears you need to find a good, local mechanic to help decipher these problems. the “shoot in the dark” theory on auto repair is REALLY expensive, and unnecessary.