Selling a car - some body damage

I have a 2011 Kia Forte. I’m seeing these listed on craigslist with twice as many miles as I have, for significantly more than KBB. In my case, my car has some slight but visible damage on the front and rear bumpers, one dent on the driver’s side door, and scratches on both of the passenger doors. I’ve gotten estimates that to fix (without totally replacing bumpers or repainting doors) - is about $700. Now, if I sell as is, a potential buyer may automatically say that bumpers are $700 new EACH, plus fixing the dent/scratches - together puts me well below $1400 to take OFF the price. Do I put in the $700 and do it all prior to selling? Or do I point out that my asking price is still well below the average for a 2011 from a dealership? (Plus fewer miles, 1 owner, transferable warranty, etc.)?

Anyone buying a 2011 is not looking for anything that needs work, most of the time I say forget it, but I think in your case the $700 is something worth considering.

Just IMHO if I saw a 2011 with dents and scrapes all over, I would be concerned about the overall treatment and care of the vehicle. OTOH, it has to be a pretty pretty good job of body work and painting to no be able to tell it has been repaired. A pin hole here, dust nib, some swirl on the paint, over spray, and it will be obvious that work was done on it calling for more questions.

I agree with Bing. The physical appearance will make people think about the mechanical side. A car that new has got to be right. I have been in the used car biz for almost 20 years, and one of the first lessons I learned was people would rather buy the clean looking car that maybe does not run 100% then the beat up looking car that runs perfect. Also of note is that Kbb us always high in price, it’s not a great guide. Good luck with your sale.

You already did the math and answered your won question. The other responders make good points, too. Get the work done, then sell it. Most people will wonder why you are selling a 2011 car, and any damage at all will make many prospective buyers run away.

I think you also need to deduct the hassle factor of fixing body damage (for me $1000) to make this an appealing sell.

This one is going to be largely a matter of opinion and preference without actually seeing the magnqtude of the damages. If they’re minor and cosmetic, I as a buyer would rather have the price lowered than see a behicle with body repairs. Bodywork always leaves me wondering how bad the damage really was. If the damage is obvious, than I tend to agree with the other that repairing it would be a good idea.