Good news for EV and plug-in hybrid owners

Should have bought a “Bullet Mustang”.

As you may recall, Sandra Bullock explains to Sylvester Stallone in 1993’s sci-fi/action film Demolition Man, set in the year 2032, that Taco Bell was the only restaurant to survive the “franchise wars,” meaning that literally every restaurant in the film’s future world is, well, Taco Bell.

And to make matters worse, they are driving in an EV…

2 Likes

Nope , I don’t recall that. Oh wait , maybe it is because I never saw it and don’t plan to

1 Like

Demo man was very entertaining. Now they are in expendables 13. Need to keep old actors employed.

My Chevy has a different plug than a Tesla which has a different plug than Ford, etc. does this mean there will be adapters available for the different plugs they have out there?
1 standard plug for Level 1 and 2 chargers for home and away(110/220V), a 2nd plug for the level 3 Fast Chargers(480V)

I would not expect any support from the EV Manufacturers to standardize their Charging Plugs. The Graphic below shows just how “specialized” we, in the USA, have become to standardizing electrical plugs in our homes. Yeah, I know, each is for a different voltage and/or amperage, but one would think that somewhere, somehow, they could come to some agreement to use similar technology to reduce costs. The chart also shows just how diverse the plugs are for other countires…

…….

I have a 2019 Toyota Corolla and a 2020 Honda Fit. I imagine many or the various automotive engineers at these companies have worked at both locations… Yet both manufacturers must make simple everyday tasks so completely different… For instance, getting gas or popping the hood…

The Toyota Hood Latch is conveniently located on the lower left side of the dash next to the steering column. The Gas Cap Latch is on the floor, next to the door jam, near the seat adjustment.

The Honda puts both latches next to each other (the hood latch is the large one on top), on the left sidekick board, not all that far off the floor. I have often popped the hood, meaning to pop the gas cap lid. I imagine some Honda engineer is laughing at this right now…

What hope do we have of any agreement between the US and Foreign Manufactures?

The Tesla advisor told me that they ship Model 3s with a CCS adapter so that I can plug into a CCS charger. I’ll find out Friday when I pick it up. That’s not a deal killer. I can buy an adapter plug if it isn’t in the trunk or frunk. If your Bolt doesn’t allow CCS charging I’d get one if you plan to drive far enough that you need to charge on the road. The ones I see charge at 150 kW and that’ll make charging away from home a lot faster. IIRC you have a Silverado EV in order. GM supports CCS and I’m sure that it will have the CCS receptacle.

The J1772 iis similar to the CCS with the difference being the DC plugs on the bottom for DC fast charge, From what I’m reading so far.

My google-fu shows I have a J1772/CCS 2 plug for the Bolt

1 Like

Ditto for my 450h+.

Yeah, CCS seems to be the industry standard, supported by BMW, Daimler, Stellantis, Ford, Jaguar, General Motors, Groupe PSA, Honda, Hyundai, Kia, Mazda, MG, Polestar, Renault, Rivian, Tesla, Mahindra, Tata and Volkswagen.

1 Like