Good creeper to get?

One piece, non-folding

Was free for me because I purchased some other items and had free shipping. If I had to pay shipping for only the creeper it would be about $11.

One more vote for cardboard. Itā€™s warmer than concrete, itā€™s easy to slide around on it, itā€™s thin and itā€™s free.

Were do you get large pieces of cardboard for free?

Do you get large items shipped to your house . . . electronics, for example?

Or how about your work . . . does your employer receive large packages? Iā€™m sure theyā€™ll gladly let you take some empty boxes off their hands

Youā€™re joking right? I see people in my neighborhood throwing away big cardboard boxes most every garbage day. Another good source for cardboard is the local Goodwill, they usually have more cardboard boxes than they know what to do with.

Like Mt Bike, I have a creeper but never use it. For one thing the cement driveway I work on is full of cracks and imperfections which prevents the creeper from moving freely. And the creeper, even if I can get it into postion, yield less space to work than working directly from the cement.

Iā€™ve used cardboard and that works pretty good, but discovered that a sheet of vinyl flooring actually works better. It is more slippery, so very easy to slide this way and that. Plus it is easy to clean oil spills b/c the oil doesnā€™t stick to it, so can wipe it off easily. For big oil spills that effect can be a problem b/c the oil steam will just run off the vinyl and onto the cement if thereā€™s any slope at all. So for changing the oil, Iā€™ll usually use cardboard for that, since oil spills will soak into the cardboard a little.

1 Like

In the medium sized town near where I live, snagging large pieces of cardboard is not so easy anymore. The city enacted a statute about 5 years ago forbidding anyone to pirate cardboard or boxes from any business dumpster.

Two hundred bucks fine is a bit high for snagging a piece of cardboard. The creeper is far, far cheaper.

1 Like

$200 to take someoneā€™s tossed cardboard? ā€¦ lol ā€¦ oh my , whatā€™s the world coming to?

I guess here in San Jose if you rummage around in a companyā€™sdumpster ā€“ esp a tech company ā€“ you might get some grief. But nobody in a residential neighborhood is likely to complain if you take their cardboard they put out on garbage day. People put all sorts of good stuff out on garbage day. If it is particulary good, like their discarded computers, with ā€œfreeā€ written on it. Just today I noticed two old computers, one automatic dishwasher, and one fairly new front loader washing machine out on the curb. And lots of cardboard.

I have to agree with @ok4450 in one sense . . .

Just because something is in a trash can, does not mean itā€™s technically legal for just anybody to come along and remove items from it

If itā€™s not yours, donā€™t take it

However, I donā€™t necessarily feel that somebody caught doing so should be assessed a hefty fine. Perhaps a warning the first time, a modest fine the next time . . . ?

Hereā€™s what I canā€™t stand . . . somebody going dumpster diving, and then leaving the mess all over the place. thatā€™s just plain inconsiderate and rude, especially if everything was neatly inside the dumpster before the scrounger showed up

At one time I used to hit the dumpster behind a Hallmark gift shop mainly because they threw out a lot of smaller carboard boxes, peanuts, bubble wrap, etc.
I dealt quite a bit in antique motorcycle parts and a few car parts on eBay and that was my free packing supplies source. I never left a mess.

Price styro peanuts, rolls of bubble wrap, and boxes now. Ouch. When youā€™re shipping out a dozen or 2 dozen boxes a week it adds up big time if you have to pay for that stuff. Even rolls of packing tape tripled in price.

It all became a moot point as eBay seller policies began to stink more and more so I bailed on them as a seller.

Iā€™m glad you never left a mess

I wish everybody was as considerate as you

Iā€™ve got several creepers. My favorite is actually the one I got at Harbor Freight. Itā€™s the most comfortable - itā€™s a contoured plastic shell, it has little trays to stick tools on so you donā€™t lose them behind you, and it rolls really well.

I see cardboard near big box appliance stores and places like Costco. People buy TVs and unwrap them so they can put them in their cars, toss the cardboard and run.

Vinyl floor sounds like a good choice, too. It should last a long time.

1 Like

The ( insert ethnic name here ) ā€˜ā€˜reservationā€™ā€™ creeper is still best, hands down, around here.
Wheels donā€™t roll so good in dirt.
Cardboard allows you to easily slide right under. rocks , dirt, uneven asphalt, all of it .
Cardboard lays flat on the ground ( wheeled creepers waste 3 inches ) so , many times, jack stands arenā€™t even needed, just leave the truck sitting on its wheels.
Cardboard boxes ARE free. . just drop by my parts department.
Cardboard is more transportable , just fold it up and take it with you.
Get more than one box, place them in your different work zones and quickly slide under more than one area of work.
etc

2 Likes

I use a section of leftover carpet from when I had it installed in my house.

+1 cardboard.
Gave away or threw out my various creepers many years ago.
When I get something in a big box, I cut out the side panels and save them. The rest gets recycled immediately.

I can slide easily in/out on cardboard, zero clearance issues and also I can set things on the cardboard and slide them out from under just as easily by pulling the piece of cardboard out with that stuff on itā€¦

Liquids do not quickly soak into the printed side if youā€™re lucky enough to get a piece like that, and can be wiped off.

Yeah I use cardboard too. I always have a couple large pieces on hand until they get covered in oil. Iā€™ve never grabbed any out of dumpsters though but just keep my own. One thing is that roaches love to nest in the cardboard so if you bring home a piece or a box from an infested area, you can introduce them into your house.

Actually there was a court case a few years ago on who owns the garbage in the dumpster. If I remember right it was tied to media or identity thieves trying to get information on someone, but the jist was its not abandoned property if its still on your land. Once it hits the garbage truck the ownership changes but who wants to go digging through the landfill.