Gomer Pyle

If you get the chance and can find it, check out “No Time for Sergeants” starring Andy Griffith. It was the inspiration for the Gomer Pyle show.

I was drafted into the USMC in 1968 and Gomer had become the moniker for anyone making a stupid mistake while at MCRD San Diego. Neither Pvt Pyle nor Sgt Carter were there, though. But Gunny R.Lee Irmy and a few of his friends were.

First, Irmy is an “honorary” Gunnery Sergeant. Which means not. He left the Corps as an E-6 Staff Sergeant, but went on to become a spokesman for Tupperware, Hoover, and Pistachio Nuts.

Second, he wasn’t at San Diego in 1968.

Third, Rock Hudson didn’t have a lot of friends…

I think, piter, that Rod was speaking metaphorically - - as in he had drill sergeants who behaved like Irmy did in FMJ.

George Lindsey (Goober) also did a long run on TV show Hee-Haw…

Annoying TV characters, the absolute worse was Costanza on The Seinfeld Show.

Annoying TV characters? How about David Caruso on CSI Miami? If I see him whip off his sunglasses one more time and pose with his hands on his hips in a “I am God” look I think I’ll puke!!

@shadowfax: “I think, piter, that Rod was speaking metaphorically - - as in he had drill sergeants who behaved like Irmy did in FMJ.”

I accept that, but I always take stories of the military with a grain of salt. I once worked for a guy who claimed his knife-fighting teacher was Oliver North and he was in both the Marines and the Green Berets and spent six months in Vietnam working on the Phoenix Project because his student deferment papers were misplaced.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CBYQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.secondstorybooks.com%2F&rct=j&q=alan%20stypeck&ei=5e_WTZvmDpCugQf7i7WMBw&usg=AFQjCNGVZImY6oIoHaaFfAqqrbSeFmPkmw&cad=rja

Irmy was there in 1967.

“Annoying TV characters, the absolute worse was Costanza on The Seinfeld Show.”

For me, Cosmo Kramer was the most annoying. And being a pain was what Newman was all about. But then again, all the characters were meant to be aggravating.