Going out in a blaze of glory

I am running a MSD 6AL ignition and I can simply put a very low rev limiter chip in mine… But I would also never let a valet drive my car… I also have a gated rachet shifter that most people don’t know how to use… :wink:

I hope that it had MUCH better brakes than were supplied by the factory.

1 Like

Noooo, no!

That Monza had the 9.5 inch front vented disks and 9x2 drum brakes. So weak.

I wonder how much g force astronauts-to be go through when they train on the “vomit comet” centrifuge?

I thought the vomit comet is what they call the airplane that does 0 Gs to simulate weightlessness.

The centrifuge-thing spins them to max Gs. Not sure how high they spin them. I suppose to something close to what they experience at takeoff… so about 4 Gs.

About 5 Gs you start to need G suits like fighter pilots wear to keep you from passing out.

1 Like

When i think back to what we used to do at the track with 413 max wedge engines stuffed into clapped out 1963 dodge 330 two door sedans, I wonder: 1) why I’m still alive and 2) why i thought that was fun.

1 Like

I think they feel about 3g’s on a rocket take off and about 8g’s on re-entry.

We have a venue in the suburbs of Philadelphia called “The Fuge” which is a former NASA training facility which still has a centrifuge mounted to the ceiling.

1 Like

The Integration and Test Facility I used to work in had a big centrifuge. The building is still used, mostly as a storage area, and the centrifuge is still there. IIRC it was used to simulate high G forces for astronaut training in the 1960s and maybe 1970s.

1 Like

Those brakes were so undersized for the vehicle that they were known to typically wear-out in less than 20k miles–in “normal” driving. I can’t even begin to imagine what they were like in competition driving.

Seems like every used demon has doubled in price.

Is this anything like a Dodge Dart 170 (CID)? I guess not…

Coincidentally, Chevy announced it’s dropping the Camaro after 2024, with no news on a successor. Bet it won’t have a V8.

Looks like the Mustang will be the sole survivor.

There are also rumors that the Malibu will be dropped. There was supposed to have been a revision/restyling of that model, but that is now apparently off the table.

Fairly soon, it looks to me like there will only be crossovers, SUVs, and trucks made by the US automakers. That will obviously disappoint a segment of the population, but the car companies will build whatever will sell in large numbers, and the “numbers” for anything other than crossovers, SUVs, and trucks haven’t been strong.

And, this doesn’t seem to be limited to the US car companies. I read recently that the Nissan Maxima is in its last year of production.

I saw something about this at the Dr Office today… (sorry if posted elsewhere)

Farley ‘frustrated’ with poor execution as Ford loses $2B in 2022

Revenue rises 17% to $44 billion in Q4. For all of 2022, Ford lost $2 billion, though it achieved adjusted earnings before interest and taxes of $10.4 billion.

February 02, 2023 04:44 PM

MICHAEL MARTINEZ

I think that Ford’s characterization of their EV division as a “start-up” is fairly accurate. One has to expect some (hopefully) short-term losses when launching a new enterprise or a new corporate division, before that enterprise turns a profit.

To think otherwise would be to assume that the CEO of every major automaker (GM, Ford, Stellantis, VW, Nissan, Toyota, etc) is wrong and that an alternative strategy is correct.

I don’t possess the amount of Hubris necessary to believe that they are all wrong and that I am right.
:thinking:

1 Like

And I’ve read that the 7th generation Mustang is likely to be the last. Still, it could easily go past 2030.