Godzilla!

deleted

http://www.japaneseclassicsllc.com

Japanes Classics is the dealer featured on Motorweek. As @FoDaddy said, any car more than 25 years old does not have to meet federal standards anymore. It might have to meet state standards, so be careful if you want to buy the GT-R or any other import. The car featured on TV was right hand drive, as all cars from Japan would be, but there might be GT-Rs exported to other countries with left hand drive. And the 25 year rule applies to all automobiles. Since it is a supercar, it can be referenced to Ferarris, Lamborghinis and Porshes of the same era. With similar performance and a low price tag, it is an opportunity to own a fast car for low bucks. Assuming your insurance cost is not astronomical, that is.

Isn’t a supra basically the same thing? Well that is like comparing a mustang vs camaro. Lots of supras around. The F&F crowd likes them

The Supra had 2/3 the power of the Skyline GT-R in 1989. 200 HP was good for 1989, but the Nissan’s 313 was superb. If you are into Japanese cars and want a go-fast ride for weekend fun, this is a relatively low priced way to get into it. The base engine for the Corvette had considerably less power than the get-R too.

@“the same mountainbike” These day’s a 0-60 run of 5.9 seconds, isn’t hugely impressive. A V6 Camry or V6 Accord can pull off that feat. For a car with sporting pretentions a 0-60 time of less then 5 seconds is pretty normal, and cars like today’s Mustang GT or Camaro SS or Challenger R/T or Boxster or WRX STi can do that. A “fast” car will do the deed in less than 4 seconds, your newer 911’s, newer GT-R’s Lambos, Ferrari’s, McLarens and so on can do that.

The R32 was a very fast car 25 years ago, when a Corvette had 245 HP and got to 60 in just a little under 6 seconds, it was one indeed one of the fastest cars on the market. But buy today’s standards it’s not a world-beater by any stretch. People that import them are fans of the car, in the same way that people still desire 60’s and early 70’s muscle cars today. And the also know that the odds of seeing another one of the road is next to nothing, the exclusivity appeals to people as well.

@Cavell

The Skyline was more advanced than the Supra, it was AWD and 4 wheel steering was available in some years. It was closer to the Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4 in most respects than it was the to Supra

“0-100 mph in 5.9 seconds” is what mountainbike said, I believe

That is not plain-Jane Camry performance

Let’s not forget that the Supra was a pretty heavy and luxuriously equipped vehicle

Definitely more emphasis on luxury than ultra-high performance

It was certainly faster than any car I owned at the time, though

The Supra was a US distribution vehicle and the Skyline GT-R was not. Therefore, the GT-R engine was not inhibited as a US market engine would have been for smog abatement. There was a physical restriction to the boost that was obviously marked and could be removed. After that, the full factory boost was available and the car could turn a quarter mile in 12.8 seconds and did 0 to 60 MPH in 4.7 seconds. That is mighty close to today’s super cars. Pretty good for a 25 year old car.

“quarter mile in 12.8 seconds and did 0 to 60 MPH in 4.7 seconds.”

But will a 25 year old car still have enough pep to do it?

Considering it’s a rare supercar, I would expect it may not have led an easy life

Still a BAC!

I’m sure you get to drive it before you buy it. This should tell you whether it functions properly. And I would be surprised if it had not been driven hard. Still, if these dealers are going to bring the cars all the way from East Asia, they better run well. Otherwise, their life as a dealer will be short.

@db4690

Just a V6 Camry, 0-60 in 5.8 seconds. Not some special limited production model or anything. Cars today are faster across the board for the most part. Even a V6 family sedan can keep up with the big block muscle cars of yore.

But you can’t remove a factory installed restriction in the boost system that when removed provides enough extra boost to drop the 0 to 60 time to 4.7 seconds. The boost control restriction was color coded yellow to make easy to locate.

@FoDaddy

I know that plain-jane Camrys today are pretty quick.

I was just pointing out that mountainbike was mentioning 0-100 in 5.9 seconds, not 0-60 in 5.9 seconds. Pretty significant difference, in my opinion

I’ll now mention some interesting . . . but not surprising . . . info, now that you’ve posted that link

My 2005 V6 Camry has less horsepower and less displacement than the 2015 Camry, which I assume is powered by the 2GR-FE. Anyways, the newer engine gets better fuel economy than mine. Mine gets about 20-21mpg combined driving. It has a 5spd auto trans, for what it’s worth. There’s absolutely nothing wrong with my car, it just gets mediocre fuel economy. But I knew that going in

Apparently, nowadays, you can have size, comfort, reliability and decent fuel economy. But the “decent fuel economy” part is relative

In other words, you can have your cake AND eat it

:grin:

The comments in the C&D article about the 2015 Camry were interesting. Clearly, those people were enthusiasts, who would buy a car that was bolder in every way

Not a Camry in other words

But the Camry is not really being marketed towards those people

Normally, I would have said “those guy” . . . but some of the reviewers were women

And if somebody wants to make an issue of the term “those people” . . . chill out

I literally meant those people and nothing else

:tongue:

The 6 cylinder Camrys are not exactly cheap. They start at $31,200.

I believe part of the Skyline’s appeal was its “unobtainability.” It made fans in the USA lust after one because they were impossible to get.

I think you hit it, DR - the mystery factor is huge. A great car, sure, but I’d probably rather put that kind of money into an M3.

What age M3 sells for $22,000? This is not a challenge, I’m just interested.