GM's new electric convertible

… will sell for less than $5k–in China.
I honestly don’t think I have ever seen an uglier car!

Awww… it’s so ugly it’s cute?

The Citroen 2CV was so popular it lasted over 40 years and no one called it beautiful.

Uglier than the Aztek, or Pacer, or Gremlin? The Deux Chevaux is about as ugly as it gets, but it is a good off-road car.

Speaking of the Aztek, I saw one last week. It appeared to be in fairly decent condition, but it was parked, so who knows whether it was even driveable. And, yes, it is still unspeakably ugly.

Personally, I put the 2CV in the “so ugly it’s cute” category. When I was about 13 or 14, I saw one at Tanglewood, in the Berkshire Hills, and I insisted that my father take my pic standing next to it.

In the 1950s, there was a neighbor at the bottom of the hill with a 2CV. The body panels were so thing that they were corrugated.

A guy I used to work with had an Aztek. He put splotch decals on it. It seems he had a sense of humor about how ugly it was. Probably a step up for him, though, since he came from Russia.

1 Like

I can’t verify that this is true, but I recall reading many years ago that some hardware stores in France sold fenders and door panels for 2CVs.

I used to thing that the Aztek put the ug in ugly and it could not get any worse but I have been proven wrong many times since.

I did’nt see any thing about what the body size was but it looks like I might be able to get one foot in it.

It looks truly tiny.

2 Likes

That was my thoughts looking at the pictures.

Which is smaller, which is uglier? The Hong Guang Mini EV Cabrio or the Smart fourtwo cabriolet? I vote for the Hong Guangzhou Mini EV Cabrio.

It looks better as a hardtop, without the roof it looks like that Audi cross cabriolet but with a higher beltline.114 inches overall length.

I posted a picture of the Cabrio because it looks like a cartoon car to me.

Let’s see crash test. Crumple zone is 13”. Where is it going to crumple into?

It’s not for sale in the US. Why would the American crumple zone rules make a difference?

A very accurate description, but still not as cartoonish as some of the other tiny convertibles that were offered in Europe in the past, The Daihatsu Copen looked like an Audi TT that had been shrunk down a few sizes. Clarkson towered over the windshield when they had him climb in one on top gear. daihatsucopendr_1_560px

Let’s not forget the Suzuki X-90.
It wasn’t actually a convertible, but the removable T-top gave the occupants of this weird little car an open air experience.

That is quite hideous!

Yes, it was definitely hideous, but it did answer the following question:
How many people want a tiny, underpowered 2-seat AWD vehicle?
Unfortunately for Suzuki, the answer to that question was…
very few people. :smirk:

I live in an area where there are lots of foreign cars, but–IIRC–I have only seen 2 or 3 or these over the years.

We will have to disagree on that one. The Daihatsu is a lot better looking and less comical than the Hong Guang Mini EV Cabrio IMO. I’m sure the Copen is junk, though. I had a Daihatsu rental for a weekend while I was on Monkey Island, and it was easily the worst tin can I’ve ever driven. A new car and it buzzed incessantly from poorly fitting interior panels. The good news is that the maximum speed was 50 kph (35 mph). Can’t do too much damage to yourself at that speed, and there were very few places where anyone would want to go faster.

1 Like