GM. Not Real Actors

In my neck of the woods tivo is kind of a generic term not hardware specific, like a xerox could mean any kind of copier, or really stretching to keep it car related a ford could also be a Lincoln or mercury.

Well, in my neck of the woods, the term tivo is definitely not a generic term

the term dvr is a generic term in my neck of the woods, and would include tivo

In fact, tivos arenā€™t very popular in my area, and most of my colleagues have never even heard of the company

However, to keep it car-related, when I lived in europe, many people would refer to ANY off-road type 2 door body on frame 4wd vehicles as ā€œJeepsā€ . . . I always winced when I heard them doing this.

Definition of TiVo
transitive verb
: to record (something, such as a television program) with a TiVo device or other DVR
I have even said I wish I had tivo for my car radio, and people know what I mean.

Yeah well, Iā€™m just holding off until it becomes obsolete, which sounds like might be now. Whatā€™s wrong with a VCR anyway?

The problem with a vcr is it is always blinking 12:00, besides as Jay Leno once said his parents keep the remote in a drawer, afraid if they miss they might blow up a vase.

I still have my original VCR a Sony Beta Max Hi Fi with a couple dozen tapes. Two VHS VCRs with many tapes. I canā€™t remember when I last used them. My DVR is used pretty much daily. My first vehicle tape player was a 4 track. I had two 8 track recorders! My Kia has USB. I have converted nearly all audio to mp3.

Gotta be right, eh?

Iā€™ll say one more thing, and then Iā€™m done with this . . . there is that weird r after the name TiVO, which makes it clear the name is a registered trademark

Not to change the subject when we are talking TIVO, but Iā€™ve got a 2017 Malibu as a loaner from the body shop. Iā€™ve only put a few miles on it but my first impression is boring. I just donā€™t like it. Sure itā€™s smooth and once I shut the window, quiet, but just kind of lumbering, like the old Chevy Impalas of the 70s and 80s. I thought the Malibus were supposed to be sportier like back in the 60s? Maybe iā€™ll change my mind, but I think this one is off my list, even though it is rated very high.

So, can we assume thatā€“unlike the supposedly ā€œrealā€ people" in those incredibly annoying Chevy ads-- you are not sitting in the driverā€™s seat exclaiming, ā€œWow!ā€, over and over again?

However, in all seriousness, before totally dismissing that modelā€™s handling ability, I think that it would be a good idea to check the tire pressure. I can recall when we (mother, father, me, and brother) took a test drive in a new '66 Galaxie. I found the handling to be really terrible, but then I found that the tires were inflated to only 16 psi.

I increased the pressure to 26 psi, and found that it handled as well as any other American sedan of that era. (Translation=not great handling, but light-years better than it had been with only 16 psi in the tires.)
:wink:

Itā€™s meant to be a family car, in competition with the Camry. I donā€™t think ā€œgood handlingā€ goes with the Camry either, unless it is the sport model with the V6.

Donā€™t the 2017 Malibuā€™s have TPMS?

Tester

I thought it was the current Impala that ā€œallā€ the auto magazines were raving about . . . ?

I also read some reviews about the current Malibu, and I didnā€™t sense a lot of excitement

I dunno. The one I read (donā€™t remember which one) rated it 1 out of 17. I was just trying to figure out what engine it had since I couldnā€™t even find the spark plugs to see if it was a four or a six. Took me 5 minutes to try and get to AM radio instead of FM. Buzzer goes off backing out of the garage, going into the garage so must have the avoidance system and then if you try and leave the fob in the car with the window down so you donā€™t lose it, the car honks at you and wakes everyone up. Nothing wrong with it, I just think itā€™s even bigger than my old Olds 88 diesel was.

The Firestone recall in the late 1990s (which was linked to more than 100 deaths from rollovers following tire tread-separation), pushed the United States Congress to legislate the TREAD Act. The Act mandated the use of a suitable TPMS technology in all light motor vehicles (under 10,000 pounds), to help alert drivers of under-inflation events. This act affects all light motor vehicles sold after September 1, 2007.

Shouldnā€™t you be directing your comment here?

Tester

Of course it has a TPMS system. However, it is entirely possible that somebody who is borrowing/temporarily driving a loaner car might not be familiar enough with the warning lights, gauges, and controls to have noticed a TPMS light.
:pensive:

Tires are fine. Its only got 500 miles on it so nothing is out of whack. Usually I rent small cars so just not used to the waddle of a boat. Still wondering why the collision avoidance system dings when Iā€™m backing out of the garage. Nothing there except an open door unless it sees the side of the garage. No owners manual in the glove box either to look at. Surprisingly to me anyway is that that 4 cyl turbo with a 6 or 8 speed transmission does seem to have fairly decent acceleration. Iā€™d prefer a plain V6 but they are becoming rare in the last few years.

The ownerā€™s manual is often in the trunk of a rental car. Look under the floor where the spare tire used to be.

The collision avoidance system sees either the side of the garage or the driveway. If your real driveway slopes up coming out of the garage, that might be it.