Gimmicks/features that you actually liked

I’m just curious about some of the things vehicles had- past and present- that were interesting. Like I said, the heated steering wheel seems like some oddball gimmick- as well as some of the other stuff folks are talking about- but is also something that would be something you’d seek out again after having it. The dual sun visors, for example, that VDC mentioned.
Heck, even those old vent windows that went away in the 70s would be neat to see again, but the wind tunnel tests wouldn’t hold up for today’s cars.

1 Like

I know the base model starts out at $40k, but who knows how much the options are going to cost once you start adding them on- 4 wheel steering, mid gate, added power, tailgate configurations, colors, the charger that allows the truck to become a backup generator in emergencies, etc.

My 87 Chrysler Conquest (Mitsubishi Starion) had windshield wipers that, on intermittent setting, would go more often automatically as you drove faster. And my 2002 Miata has a stereo setting for top up vs. top down, changes the tone mix and makes the sound level louder as yo go faster with the top down. Both kind of nice.

And my first car, a 53 Buick Special, had a radio antenna above the top center of the windshield that you could rotate up and to the sides from the interior to improve AM reception. AM radio sounded pretty bad but that Buick had a very good one. You could get XERB from Mexico near California in Kansas, at night.

1 Like

I remember when Chrysler corporation vehicles introduced the ignition switch with the start position. I thought that was a gimmick. I didn’t see any problem with turning the ignition switch to the “on” position and either pushing a button on the dashboard, or stepping on a pedal. The Nash and Studebaker added a gimmick-- you had to depress the clutch and then step down a little harder to activate the starter. The starter on Buicks through 1960 was activated by turning the ignition switch to “on” and depressing the accelerator. The accelerator was depressed about 1/3 of the way down when the starter motor would crank the engine. As soon as the engine fired up the starter automatically disengaged. If the engine was flooded, you pressed the accelerator to the floor to open the automatic choke while the starter cranked the engine. I thought was an unnecessary gizmo as well as any system for engaging the starter other than a floor pedal. The floor pedal for working the starter motor worked fine in my 1947 Pontiac and my 1950 Chevrolet pickup truck. I had no problem working the hand choke on my 1950 Chevrolet pickup.
My dad had a 1947 DeSoto with two features. If the parking brake was set when the ignition was turned on, the left turning signal flashed until the parking brake was released. The DeSoto also had a lighted hood ornament. I never saw the purpose for that feature.

My 59 Pontiac had that wonder bar to select radio stations. I don’t know that it worked very well but was impressive. I liked the gas heater in my vw too. You could shut the car off and still run the heater.

I had a 1987 Conquest, I didn’t notice the wipers but had audio controls in the steering wheel.

My 1996 Stratus has speed adjusting wipers, intermittent speed increases at 35 mph.

Chrysler convertibles had auto sound leveling in the convertibles in 1998.

The 1955 Thunderbird had a radio that automatucally adjusted the volume according to the speed.

2 Likes

That’s for the stripped work truck version. Several of the higher trims will be more than double that. Ford recently bumped their base EV truck from $40k to $52k. We’ll see what GM does, it’s not out until 2024.

I had that option in a rental Buick Enclave when I was on an extended business trip to Logan, UT in January. I really appreciated the heated steering wheel when I left work at 6am and the temperature was -20F. I’d start the SUV and then clean off the windows. Even with gloves my hands were quite cold when I got back in the car.

My new car is the first one I ever had with a heated steering wheel. I was skeptical at first, but I have found that I really like that feature.

my wife’s 2012 Chevy Malibu had that. Confused the crap out of me the first time I noticed it. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Instead of ’ Gimmicks ’ maybe the title should be ( Features vehicle had that you would like on all vehicles ) .

1 Like

I did the exact same thing, a mirror from a 92 Camaro transferred to my 88 Crew cab 2500.

1 Like

Back before windshield washers were required by the US government, my 1965(?) Opel Kadett L wagon had one: A rubber squeeze bulb was in the floorboard to the left of the clutch pedal (where dimmer switches were usually located.) Depending on how hard and fast you pushed on it, the washer fluid would dribble low or spray high on the windshield.

New cars have this, including my 2011 Camaro and 2017 Edge.

My Pontiac has that but due to road noise I guess, not speed.

1 Like

Didn’t really hit me until earlier today, but the wipers on my car go both directions instead of just one. Don’t really know how to explain it, but here is a video of a different vehicle that has the same wiper motion:

It seems to clear more of the windshield than the standard motion wipers

Yes, i was pointing out that this is not a “new” thing at all.

Reversing camera. I thought the extra mirror on the tailgate of my van was enough but with a reversing camera everything just becomes simple. Hitching up a trailer is effortlessly accurate and fast.

1 Like

Bluetooth syncing to phone.
Early versions were hopelessly random in success of pairing and then dropping out. Nowadays it just works and requires no action - get in and drive and music, phone calls, navigation is all just “There.”
The associated bonus effects… No zip-bag of cassettes or cds. No need to decide which 12 of those cassettes or cds to bring on a trip to play on inevitable repeat rotation which probably end up sitting in the car for the next 12 months.
No more maps for trips. No more aux cables, no more FM aux tuner cigarette lighter adapter plug.