Getting a CDL in Indiana

Mike, I cannot wait until I-93 is finished. I commuted that road for years, and it has been over capacity for a very, very, very long time. Lawsuits by the Boston-based Office of the Conservation Law Foundation put the whole project years behind schedule. D#@*&%$&*ed liberal lawyers!!! They tried to force NH to put in a rail line INSTEAD OF the badly needed highway expansion. May they all die in fiery highway crashes!! :rage: (just kidding folks)

This is the driver's fault, pure and simple. And 100%. Can't blame the bridge.
Not that I don't agree 100%, mind you...but didn't I JUST get castigated by you for "casting judgments on others?" Hmm...
D#@*&;%$&*ed liberal lawyers!!!...May they all die in fiery highway crashes!! :rage: (just kidding folks)
See above. Pot, meet kettle.

" Stupid is, as stupid does" That Woman should have known better,you can get by with a lot of this in VA,because the bridges are so underrated,but if you hit the truss, its coming down, with you on it.
I knew a Guy that took a DW 21 (scraper) across an old historical truss bridge rated for a few tons( a DW 21, probaby weighs in excess of 25 tons ) it didnt fall, but it scared the heck out of Him,the bridge was swaying.
The" bridge formulae " is why VA weight limits are less then some other states .

Thereā€™s this bridge in Lowell MA that goes over the Merrimack river. About 20+ years ago the bridge needed dire repairā€¦so the took it down and put up a temp bridge. See link below.

That temp bridge is still in place. Tens of thousands of cars a day travel that bridge. I think trucks are prohibited.

http://www.mabey.com/products-services/permanent-temporary-bridge/

A temporary bridge just might fit until they figure out what they want to do permanently. They could get a higher capacity one and find out that opens up more opportunities, like allowing school buses, or farm or construction equipment.

A temporary bridge just might fit until they figure out what they want to do permanently.

I agreeā€¦but over 20 years is more then long enough to figure something out. That bridge was constructed in the 90ā€™s.

Well, you know, they been kinda busyā€¦

Get over it meanjoe.
If you make comments relevant to a subject at hand in an attempt to help, Iā€™ll be happy to acknowledge you, but I will not respond to any more of your meanspirited personal attacks.

Interesting that they are just showing the flooding on the Merrimack river on TV. Same thing in St. Louis and beyond. We may need some of those temporary bridges before summer.

OK boys. Just think how boring and unproductive it would be if everyone held the same opinion. Letā€™s not be too sensitive as we start a new year. (Anyone else sick and tired of the ā€œyear in reviewā€?)

The Merrimack? I missed those. But unfortunately it isnā€™t the first time.
Those in flood plains have my deepest sympathy. Thatā€™s a destructive power thatā€™s impossible to battle.

@Bing

Donā€™t worry;Iā€™m not mad. I also have no desire to go ā€œJerry Springerā€ on everyone. Iā€™m justā€¦mildly bemusedā€¦that a certain somebody goes out and ā€œjudgesā€ someone, prior to the ink (uh, electrons) drying on a diatribe against (wait for it) ā€œjudging someone.ā€

Done talking about it; I'll just sit here in silence, smirking. It's actually quite funny!

Just think how boring and unproductive it would be if everyone held the same opinion.

Yup, wouldn't it be swell if we could ALL express our opinions, without fear of personal reprisals? :wink:

About 20 years ago a local high school band in my area attended a function near OK City. The means of transportation was an oversized activity bus which was weighted down by many students and a huge number of musical instruments with their cases.

On the return home the driver decided to take a shortcut. He came upon a bridge with a ā€œ10 Ton Weight Limitā€. The bus and its cargo was way, way over that of course.

Instead of reversing and going home by the original route the driver ordered the students off the bus and drove forward gross weight be damned. The bridge collapsed and the bus crashed to the bottom with the driver suffering minor injuries.

To make this even more asinine the local paper did not fault the driver. They blamed the bridgeā€¦

Here in Indiana we have problems with bridges. Last August, we had a bridge that had to be closed on I-65 near LaFayette because the piles supporting the bridge shifted. The official detour added about 50 miles, so I am certain that some truckers,took illegal shorter routes. Back about 1970, there was a bridge closed on 37 near Bloomington Indiana. There was a quick way around the closed bridge, but it wasnā€™t really wide enough to accommodate a semi and the road was,marked ā€œno semisā€. Yet, I met a,ssmi on this road and had to back up about a mile so he could get through. Some truckers will do anything to save a few miles and I would bet this young driver was taking a short cut.
Back in 1962, I took the written test and obtained a license that would allow me to drive empty school buses from a bus factory to whatever school district had ordered the bus. I remember having to learn the maximum weight allowed per axle. I would think anyone with even the sense of a goose driving a big rig would have some idea of its weight. After all, truckers have to go through weigh stations.

My feeling is that maybe an investigation is needed not only into the lady truck driver but also the people who passed her during the testing and any driving school that handed her a diploma.

Sheā€™s too ignorant to know how many pounds are in a ton and canā€™t back a truck up? Thereā€™s also the complete lack of ā€œWait a minuteā€¦ā€ common sense when she eyeballed that bridge and plowed on anyway.

Thank God that bus driver in Oklahoma City had the good sense to at least clear the students off the bus before trying the bridge. A ā€œwhat were you thinkingā€ goes to him for trying to cross the bridge, but at least he didnā€™t subject the kids to the danger.

I agree, an in-depth investigation needs to be done on the lady trucker incident. Iā€™d be surprised if one wasnā€™t already being done.

@thesamemountainbike, ever seen that old Chevy Chase movie ā€œFunny Farmā€?

Well I got my CDL for driving snow plows, donā€™t recall any thing in the licensing for weight and height, had to check tires and air brakes, get out of the vehicle and look behind before backing up, passed with 1 fault, did not move my head enough to please the testing officer to check for cross traffic at an intersection. The cdl license is good for everything except flamable loads, or do you say inflamable!!

That's a destructive power that's impossible to battle.

You donā€™t battle itā€¦you move. Every home I bought a house I always checked the likelihood of flooding. I like the odds near 0.

Great videos! Hard to believe people actually do these things in real lifeā€¦ including the one in the Chevy Chase movie!

That second video looks like the road in Indiaā€¦where several people die every day on that road.