How about Click & Clack's newspaper column?

Their column, which appeared in my local paper today, had a question about hauling rocks in a half ton '74 Ford F100. The boys answered that a half ton truck is only capable of carrying a 1000 pound (half a ton) payload. That got me to remembering how we used to routinely load 70 bushels of wheat @ 60 pounds per bushel on a 1/2 ton GMC pickup during harvest. That’s 4,200 pounds folks. So I looked up pick up ratings on the net. I found that ORIGINALLY those ratings were all about what trucks could carry. That’s like back in the 1920s when pick ups were first conceived. Times, and pick up trucks, have changed.

I told this scenario to a friend earlier today. He related that he once took an F250 (a 3/4 ton Ford supposedly capable of carrying 1500 pounds) across the scales at a local sand pit where it weighed in at just a shade over 16,000 pounds. The empty truck weighes about 4,000 pounds. Granted it was overloaded, but he drove it at least 10 miles that way before raking the load off onto a home construction project.

From Wikipedia:

Full-size pickups in North America are sold in four size ranges - ? Ton, ? Ton, 1 Ton, and now 1 1/2 ton. These size ranges originally indicated the maximum payload of the vehicle, however modern pickups can typically carry far more than that. For example, the 2006 model Ford F-150 (a “? Ton” pickup) has a payload of between 1,400 lb (640 kg) and 3,060 lb (1,390 kg), depending on configuration. Likewise, the 2006 model F-350 (a “1 Ton” pickup) has a payload of between 4,000 lb (1,800 kg) and 5,800 lb (2,600 kg) depending on configuration.

If I buy a new 1/2 ton pickup, load it with 1100 pounds of cargo and then a rear spring breaks, will the car manufacturer replace the spring under warranty?

If I get into an accident, will my insurance company use that as a reason to not pay me?

I’d be curious to see the vehicle designers’ testing, what happens to the stopping distances or handling characteristics when vehicles are overloaded.

It’s probably fair to say most of us have loaded vehicles beyond their rated capacity at one time or another. It’s important to know what consequences you’re accepting by doing so.

Whitey, Are You There? This Is A “Photo Op” For You. I’ll Bet You Can Post A Picture Of A “Fully Loaded” Pickup For Our Amazement, Eh?
CSA

Make sure your answer is in the form of a question.

An 02 GMC Sierra extended cab 4WD is rated to carry 605 pounds in the bed. It’s kind of amazing that having good traction in snow means that it’s overloaded. They want that load centered over the axle on a pallet too if it’s one heavy item. Perfectionists everywhere can have a fun day loading up.

If that “1/2 ton” pickup is rated to carry more than 1100 pounds, I’d say you are fine. The 1/2 ton, 3/4 ton, 1 ton designations are really just size categories and the actual load capacity is listed on a little plate on the driver’s door post. Even my little Isuzu pickup is rated to haul 2000 pounds according to that plate.

I think if you look at the actual manufacturers web sites you’ll see that they don’t actually use the term 1/2 ton, 3/4 ton, etc. It’s just that those terms have entered the common vernacular.

No wonder GM had problems! Who builds a full sized pickup that can’t haul more than 2 mothers-in-law in the back?!?

Seriously, that’s just a stupid design. Form without function.

When I take my old F250 to the pit (many times), the guy on the loader flips in about a half ton and then waits on my signal to jiggle in more. That’s SOP so if anything goes goes south it was my call. My read on the tires and a sinking rear end usually hits 1500 lbs at the scale. Given handling and braking, I find that’s just enough and no more. On the other extreme, as a kid we had a 52 Chev half ton with boarded up sides to haul grain to town. Dad would load it with flax or wheat and the tires would disappear in the wheel wells. Super low out of the field and first gear to the elevator (1 mile). My extreme slow speed made it safe enough. I don’t think pushing the extremes is safe or smart. You unload 1500 lbs with a shovel and you’ll be ready for the break another pit trip will give you.

I concur with your interpretation of the modern meaning of “1/2 ton pickup” and with its origin, and I personally have badly overloaded my pickups (to the spring stops) numerous times when only going very short distances at very low speeds in conditions where even a broken axle would not create a risk…but I agree with Tom & Ray’s advice. Severely overload a pickup and driving it on main roads is unsafe. It should not be done. A better solution would be a trailer…or even a rental truck with sufficint payload. Even better was their point that landscaping and aggregate supply places will deliver. Even if there’s a nominal charge, I’d rather pay that than the higher cost of a busted axle or an accident.

He related that he once took an F250 (a 3/4 ton Ford supposedly capable of carrying 1500 pounds) across the scales at a local sand pit where it weighed in at just a shade over 16,000 pounds. The empty truck weighes about 4,000 pounds.

First, a Ford F-250 weighs 8,800 lbs., not 4,000 lbs. Second, Wikipedia isn’t a reliable source of information.

Here you go.

Love the photos, Whitey. Especiallt that last one.

I once saw one of a subcompact that had way too may 2x4s tied to the roof and while traveling down the road the load slid backward and the front wheels came off the ground and into the air.

“First, a Ford F-250 weighs 8,800 lbs., not 4,000 lbs. Second, Wikipedia isn’t a reliable source of information.”

I’m looking at the title to my own F-250, with an extended cab, and massive diesel engine. It shows the empty weight as 4742. A standard cab with a gas engine like Charlie’s will undoubtedly weigh considerably less.

The title for my SWB F-150 shows its weight as only 3340.

Vehicles are taxed (here in part) by their weight.

I think you may be looking at a GVW sticker that shows what is supposedly the MAXIMUM weight, which apparently he exceeded by a considerable margin.

I stand by my original statement. I also believe the wiki article is substantially correct.

Oops, I posted one earlier. No second chances.