Gasoline oxygenation

Winter oxygenation additives reduce gas mileage. If the feds want to extend gasoline supplies, just pulling these additives now instead of when they are normally stopped could extend gas supplies by up to 10% in some areas of the US. We are coming up on the end of oxygenate addition anyway, but doing it now would help reduce the total cost of gasoline for citizens. I know that reducing oxygenate additives would in crease CO emissions temporarily. Is it worth it to extend gasoline supplies by reducing oxygenates? Comments?

1 Like

wouldn’t we be using more gas in the long run?

Are you suggesting that 9 gallons of non oxygenated gasoline would go farther than 10 gallons of E10?

I don’t think so, and here’s why. Russian oil was only 3% of our oil supply, thus this “shortage” is completely contrived by the oil companies. What is needed is price controls.

3 Likes

@Nevada_545, Not non-oxygenated gas, just not oxygenation to the higher winter levels. I’ve noticed a drop in gas mileage as soon as the oxygenation additives went on stream, and for many years. As an example, if E10 actually has 5% ethanol in the summer blend and 10% in the winter blend, going to the summer levels would provide an incrementally better gas mileage earlier in the year. Note that E10 may contain up to 10% ethanol, but doesn’t have to.

@old_mopar_guy, the higher prices are not directly related to Russian oil supplies exported the the US. Europeans use significantly more Russian petroleum products, and because oil is a global commodity, prices everywhere, including here, are a reaction to the global economy.

Here we go. March madness/insanity.

If you want a real shortage of gasoline, institute price controls. Whatever we think is causing the current high prices, gas is readily available whenever we need it. The long lines are only at the cheaper buyers clubs, as far as I can see.

6 Likes

Isn’t the United States really the only place that uses gasoline? So we can decide what fuel prices will be when we elect a new President. It all happens in Washington DC. Trading oil with other countries has been illegal for a long time, and it has always been cheaper to transport oil over land than by sea anyway. There is no such thing as an international price, because the price is in Dollars so that’s how we know the oil is always in the United States.

On a more serious note, why do CO emissions matter more in the winter or why does gasoline formula need to change in the winter? What happens if you have fuel in your tank left over from the summer?

It gets mixed up with the other fuel so it is a non - issue . The US is the only place using gasoline ? Where do you get these ideas anyway .

3 Likes

If you institute price controls simultaneously with minimum production levels, and enforce both with draconian penalties, there would be no shortages.

He must be of his med’s again.

2 Likes

Would you give some examples of where that was tried where it worked?

Venezuela tried that… how’d that work out for them?

2 Likes

Read the entire post, that was joking.

Take note folks when Volvo and I agree.

Calling Dr. Carson, calling Dr. Carson. Need a little help here. Please explain micro and macro again.

We can control the means of production! Didn’t work for the Soviet Union either.

From where do such bizarrely-wrong notions emanate?
While it is true that European motorists are much more dependent on diesel fuel than we are in The US, to declare that The US is “the only place that uses gasoline” is so far from being accurate that I have to wonder about the source of your MISinformation.

If Chavez hadn’t died it would have woked

Only because Stalin got soft in the last years of his rule.

The gasoline formula is changed seasonally to reduce evaporation in the summer and for more complete combustion in the winter.

It is not an issue but there are 20 gallons of fuel in my truck from 9 months ago, how does it get mixed with “other fuel”?

It was sarcasm. The point is the U.S. doesn’t have much control over the price or value of oil or gasoline in the global market.

1 Like