Bradley/Sinclair Regular (85) $2.08 - MidGrade (87) $2.28 - Premium (89 or 91) $2.48

Shell $2.21 - $2.51 - $2.81
Why such a difference now?

2013 Lexus RX350 Owner’s manual says 87 octane. 85 octane OK above 5,000 ft?

Owner’s manual is 1036 pages!! Navigation System owner’s manual 420 pages
But they are for RX450h and RX350. Save fuel and keep them at home.

“Why such a difference now?”

Because they can. It’s been going on for decades.

I’ve noticed that where premium used to be around 20-30 cents more than regular, it’s now routinely 50 or more cents over the price of regular. This is annoying for those of us who have cars that require premium fuel.

I’ve also noticed that gas stations will drop the regular gas when gas prices decline, but leave premium’s price where it is, sometimes for upwards of a week. This is also annoying.

I paid $2.40 for Mobil, 89 yesterday. Regular 87 was $2.25. Hey, I’m just happy its not $4.

Around here a lot of gas stations have 50-70 cent price increase for premium over regular. I refuse to do business with those locations. The places I normally frequent have premium priced at around 40 cents more a gallon but generally offer 3-5 cents a gallon discount if you have a loyalty card… But yeah the price premium for premium fuel used to be less.

Speedway gas near me the price difference between regular mid and super is 20 cents. The Mobil and Gulf the difference is 50 cents.

Here It’s $2.65/87 Octane. I’ll Have To Pay Attention To Premium Next Trip To Town For Golf League Tonight.

What gets me is that I’ve heard that switching to “Summer Gas” is causing the increase. Summer gas? These clowns are fighting “Global Warming” and the temperature was in the 40s last night and expected to be a high of mid 50s in June!

I want some Global Warming! After an unusually cold winter, I can normally count on NOT running my furnace in the 4 months that don’t have an “r” in them. However, this year I’ve had to run my furnace in May and June, so far… There are only 2 left!

I get to pay more for car gasoline (higher prices) and pay more for natural gas (using more) for home heating. :neutral:

Please, please, don’t tell me it’s Climate Change! The weather and the climate (average weather) always changes! :wink:
CSA

Yeah it was down to about 55 last night and believe it or not the guys are putting in a new air conditioner today. Hoping for 90 plus to justify it. At least it’ll be more energy efficient with the planet friendly refrigerant.

Shell $2.21 - $2.51 - $2.81 Why such a difference now?

And you point is??? As far back as I can remember (mid to late 60’s) the higher the octane the higher the price. So to answer the question of “Why such a difference now?” Why not? that’s the way it has always been. Or maybe I just don’t understand the point of the pointless question.

Mr. PvtPublic-I understand the point of the pointless question. The screen name of the thread starter gives it away.

Why such a difference between grades now that Winter formulation is over?
2 octane points = 20 to 30 cents more.

Also, is it OK to use 85 octane at 5,000 feet altitude when owner’s manual calls for 87 octane.
Will antiknock system adjust for pre-ignition - if any.

I dunno why the difference but I let competition take care of it and don’t worry about it. I was just happy to see the 91 octane non-oxy fuel at the pumps still-for lawn mowers and boats.

As registered treehuggers, we have a battery-powered lawn mower.
No gasoline can and fumes, no draining dirty engine oil. No exhaust fumes. Less noise disturbing the neighbors.

What competition??? The oil industry doesn’t compete among itself, only against other energy segments.

@Robert Gift. The jury is still out for me on a battery powered mower. I bought a used one from a friend a couple of years ago. My wife likes to mow and I thought she would appreciate not having to mess with gasoline. However, the battery mower is heavier to push than the 18" gasoline mower we own with a lightweight aluminum deck. I had to buy new batteries for the mower this year and the least expensive batteries were $70 for the pair. i can buy a lot of gasoline and oil for that price. As far as the difference between the price of 87 and 92 octane is concerned, I think that Congress should pass a law making it illegal to put regular gas in a car that requires premium. My car needs premium fuel and I select cars which require premium from which to siphon gas. When one of these owners cheaps out and puts in regular instead of the required premium, he is damaging my engine as well as his own.

Wife loves our battery-powered mower. Bought at a garage sale.
A year later replaced the two batteries with Wal-Mart 12-Volt lead-acid batteries. $52(?)
Runs great -maybe longer, more amp-hours?, than the orginal batteries.

At 5000 feet altitude supposedly one can drop ONE grade. (2 octane points)
Now I’d like to figure if 20 cents less per gallon is worth the possible slight detriment in efficiency/mileage.

@Robert Gift. I didn’t know that batteries for battery lawnmowers were available at WalMart. I went on the internet to find the batteries for my Black and Decker. Thanks for the information.

What competition? Why are oil prices down 50%? If there was no competition, why wouldn’t prices still be $100/bbl, and gasoline prices unchanged. Simple econ 101.

LOL, I have a mower that’s not only electric, but with the exception of the motor and switch it’s 100% molded plastic! Super lightweight! It works great and I love it. I call it my “Barbie mower”. :smiley:

I have 2 bp stations within 12 blocks of me, for mid grade one is always .50 a gallon more, the other is always .20 a gallon more, no clue!