Gasoline choices

How credibile are some of the claims by oil companies that thier gasolines do such amazing cleaning jobs on car engines? While buying gas the other day, I was reading a poster that showed pictures of engine parts with thier gas and another brand. Of course, the part with thier brand looked brand new. I figured the picture comparison was a stretch, but it got me wondering how much difference does brand choice really make.

http://www.toptiergas.com/

Tester

The question then becomes how important or beneficial is TopTier gas? Is it providing more detergents than necessary or is there some evidence that engines that use it suffer fewer problems? Are those who never fill up at those TopTier stations seeing increased engine deposits and driveability problems?

Perhaps these questions should be asked of the engineers at the car companies listed in the toptiergas.com web page…

I honestly think it all depends on your engine, climate and driving style. Just change the oil in a timely fashion and put proper octane your vehicle requires and drive reasonably and your vehicle will last a long time.

I think the gasoline effects/differences may become evident possibly after 150k+ of driving, not the case for most people.

RE: Ask the engineers…

It’s difficult to know how much of the claims on the toptier.com site is marketing. I’m curious for what’s happening in practice.

My sense is the world isn’t falling apart for those not using toptier gas. I’m looking for input from the broad background of those on this forum to either support or find holes in my observations.

All gasolines have cleaner additives. The minimum required in US and Canada is sufficient for all except a few engines and for those few they indicated the use of “Top Tier” gas in their owner’s manual.

The simple fact is the cleaners in all modern gasolines is more than enough for all but Top Tier engines. They seem to have special problems. Very very few people have problems caused by insufficient additives in their fuel. Same with modern oils and filters.

This is a case were more is not better. It is not worse, but there is no need and buying additional cleaner or using Top Tier when not specified is simply a waste of money.

I am trying to recall where one of these top tier stations are in my area. Honestly, if you asked my I would have no idea. Around me it is all BP, Circle K, Sheets, Marathon and the Giant Eagle (grocery store) stations.

Since I don’t see the sides of the roads littered with “six of the world’s top automakers’” cars, and I know I see these cars fueling up at these stations, so I would assume that the difference between top tier and the others is relatively small.

There are very few Top Tier stations in my area, and my cars (Acura and Subaru) run just fine on whatever gas I put in it. I’ll use Top Tier brands when I can get them, but I don’t worry about it when they are not available.

I use Top Tier gas because it’s nearby and a good price. Lacking that, I use major labels. But it’s not a big deal.

I always look for stations that have top tier gas. It is usually the same price and does have better cleaning power for your fuel injectors. Why take the chance when you dont really have to?

I always look for stations that have top tier gas. It is usually the same price and does have better cleaning power for your fuel injectors. Why take the chance when you dont really have to?

Assuming your car does not call for TT gas, what do you expect to gain? I have seen very few, if any, problems due to the use of standard gas. Of course if you find TT gas at no additional price at a convenient location and you trust that you are getting what they claim, then I see no reason not to use it.