Gas smell in van

when my van is stopped for a light the car fills with smell of gas. It did this last month also then it just stopped untill this week again! PU

Did you just fill it up? Do you tend to top off the tank when filling it up? Did the weather just change?

OK, you have a fuel leak somewhere. It is in your best interest to promptly find it and make repairs. (Duh!) I suspect from your brief description that the leak is somewhere under the hood rather than in the fuel tank area in the rear. A likely culprit is a valve problem in the EVAP system, causing a canister overflow. If you don’t know what I am talking about, bring your checkbook to someone who does.

Yeah you really might have a fuil leak my fj60 has the same fuil smell but mine smells when I over fill the tank and mine hade a leak it was more noticeible when I went uphill.

Year model and mileage please.

You could have anything from a leaking fuel injector body (seal) to a rotted tank, a split line, or a corroded leaky fitting.

I agree that you should take it to a shop to get it fixed as soon as possible. This is a safety issue.

This is more than just “PU”. Gasoline fumes are explosive and if you continue to drive this vehicle, it could be very dangerous for you and for your passengers. I suggest that you have it towed to a trusted mechanic a.s.a.p.