Gas/Petrol Smell - 1994 Suburu Legacy

Our 1994 Suburu Legacy runs on Petrol or LPG (we are presently living in Poland). For some unknown reason, there is a strong petrol smell in the car. When this happens, the car will eventually stop and the engine stops. There is power, but the engine will not start. Several minutes and many attempts later later, it starts.

Does anyone have any idea what may be happening?

First thing I’d check would be the fuel filter.

It sounds like there’s a blockage somewhere in the fuel system. I would guess it’s in a part of the fuel system that’s in the engine area. As the fuel encounters the blockage, it builds up pressure until it sprays out - the reason I’m guessing it’s near the engine is because the engine is near the vents that draw in air for the climate control, which would make it easy for you to smell the gas.

It wouldn’t surprise me if the fuel filter is clogged, and the clips holding the fuel lines onto the filter are weak enough that the extra pressure is making gas spray out where the fuel line attaches to the filter.

At any rate, this is a dangerous situation, and you should not drive the car until you have it solved. You don’t want to start a fire.

Thank you! This sounds reasonable and we will check it out tomorrow. Thank you for taking the time to respond.