Subaru Legacy Smells Like Gas

Recently, my 2003 Subaru Legacy (2.5l) has been smelling of gas when I get in to drive after is sits. At first, this only happened when the car sat in the garage over the weekend, however, not it seems to happen when the car sits during the day while I’m at work. It doesn’t happen every time I get in the car but I’m worried about this. Also, my check engine light came on recently and the guy at autozone told me that it has to do with my catalytic converter… could these two issues be related?

Thanks

Yes, these two issues could be (probably are) related.

More importantly, any time you smell gasoline it means there’s a leak somewhere, and any gasoline leak is hazardous on several levels.

Take the car to your mechanic and have this checked out ASAP.

Please do not delay. This is potentially very dangerous. Gasoline and its fumes are explosive. If you can smell gasoline you’re sitting in a very dangerous place.

BOOM!

Don’t let this be you.

There was a recall a few years ago on certain Subaru models of that era for replacement of defective clamps on the fuel lines. If you give your VIN to the dealership over the phone, they can tell you if yours is one of the recalled vehicles. If it is not one of the recalled models, then you can just take the car to any competent mechanic.