Garage owner in Youtube video suggests 5k oil changes

Was the dealer using the correct oil? Synthetic oil? Changing oil without changing the filter?
I would photo the sludge and send the photos to them and post here.

I have discussed my suffering a stroke or heart attack, etc.
Taught wife how to change the oiherself. But she would take ito Walmart.
She wouldrive her car if unsure mine is drivable.

I’m surprised you haven’t gotten an EV yet.

Is there an AWD SUV for snow but notoo expen$ive and stilhasufficient range?
Our longest emergentransport is 293 miles. Then we immediately return to quarters.

The Mach-E’s range is a little over 300 miles (on paper). The Tesla model Y has a 330 mile range, The Lightning pickup also is rated for 330 miles. Now a caveat here is that EV’s get worse range on the highway, and certainly traveling at 100+ MPH speeds as you seem to do occasionally would result in a dramatic range decrease. You might claw some of that back if you pumped the tires up to around 45-50 psi though. If not an EV, then maybe a hybrid? A Highlander hybrid or a Rav 4 Prime would seem like something that would suit your needs/wants exceptionally well. You could pull out of the garage in EV mode, not worry about range, and still get to be “green”, or at least as green as two ton SUV barreling down the interstate at triple digit speeds can be said to be.

1 Like

You do realize there is no extra charge here in the forum for additional letters and spaces between words??? :thinking:

3 Likes

Ha. I’d expecthatheir tires are already at max psi! Ours are 49 psi - three below max.
Have always liked the Highlander and hybrid would be great, especially in which to sleep when too tired to drive home in the middle of the night.
But wife wants Lexus RX350.

I save rarexpensivelectrons!

Let’s be a little careful what we suggest. I don’t even want to think about Robert coming back from a hospital in a foot of snow at 3 am and running out of charge. Walk to the nearest farm and ask for an extension cord?

1 Like

They do not mind as long as I goto the hospital.
Ford Expedition could not continue into the parking lot in the middle of the night.
Trudged through three feet drifts.
Blood bank personnel said I looked like I had wet my pants.

Had a Pinto as a second car. Got it with unknown mileage, odometer was broken at 98000 miles. Had the radiator flow tested, filled with coolant. Changed oil&filter, used Mobil One, then beat the heck out of it for four years with no further maintenance other than topping of the oil, of which it used very little. I did not care about that car at all, but it never let me down!

1 Like

Why wouldn’t they? It’s a bit late for photos now.

1sthought is thathey did not change the filter.
Also wonder if theyvere using cheap oil - if such oil would make any difference. All oils are probablyery similar.

Or you can just poor a quart of clean oil in to flush out all the old oil if you’re anal about it.

2 Likes

My $0.02: My gut feeling tells me that 10K is excessive. I first changed oil on my Prius Hybrid @3,500 and - now @8K, it looks mostly clean, and there is no noticeable consumption and yet…it’s cheaper to change oil than the engine.

2 Likes

Bothersome thathe owner’s manual says 10k - if that is truly excessive.
Withew (with the new) synthetic oils, I’d appreciate the greater change intervals, especially since the cartridge must be removed and cleaned before new filter element installed.
(Makes me wanto install my other engineer friend’s toilet paper filter. Kept his oil looking clean.)

8000 or 10000 mile oil change . That is not even enough difference to really mean anything. It is more important that the miles and time ( 12 months ) are done .

If you were a true tree-hugger you’d be driving an EV.

Why time. Does the oil oxidize?

Just stop with the Trolling spelling nonsense and use your time to actually post reasonable thoughts . Toilet paper oil filter , Good Grief !!

1 Like