Garage owner in Youtube video suggests 5k oil changes

They be too expen$ive.
Sometimes there are several medical transports witho time to recharge.

I don’t have any scientific evidence. Maybe the fact that I am old enough to remember when oil change was mandatory @3K and still can’t adapt to new standards. Like I said, gut feeling.

The toilet paper filter works very well! Kept his oil looking totally clean! It is an add-on. The original filter is still in use.

So your environment views can be bought.

Not this bullsh*t again. I thought you outgrew that.

The video at the top shows disturbing evidence.
I was accustomed to changing at 3k. Was strange going to 5k. Now 10k - according to the manual and advertising on synthetic oil containers. (Does a new Mobil1 full synthetic claim to go to 20k?)

Three stat transports back-to-back. Never knowhen they will call and to where.

Total Bull.

Almost all cars have a OCM in them now and you can follow that as that is what is reccomended in the manual or 1 year whatever comes first . Todays synthetic oils and filters are very good and many people have trouble waiting for that light to come on . If you do mostly highway driving it could be upwards of 10000 miles before it comes on . Otherwise I think 6000 would be a good compromise . As always to each his own .

If the manufacturer’s current 10 K oil change recommendations are too long, you’d expect to be seeing a rash of oil-related engine problems at local auto repair shops. Bearings, lifters, camshaft lobes, variable valve timing actuators, under-valve-cover sludge and the like. I wonder if these sorts of problems are any more common now, compared to when manufacturer’s oil change recommendations were fewer miles between changes?

My daily driver calls for 7500 mile changes in the manual. I do 5000 mile changes which might be overkill but you cannot see any sludge or discolored metal under the valve cover when you remove the oil fill cap. Everything is shiny clean aluminum like it was on day one. I run Mobil 1 Extended Protection (gold bottle) oil as well.

I do lots of driving on gravel roads but also a lot of highway driving so I don’t consider this extreme service but certainly not the best conditions either.

Here’s one shop owner’s take on extended oil changes. Quick summary: No good.

1 Like

My daughter drove her CRV 1 hour each way on highway to work for 4 years. I changed her oil at 10,000 per owners manual. Eventually sludged. Granted she bought the car used and don’t know previous maintenance, but for that unsubstantiated reason, I’ll never go 10,000 miles between changes.

3 Likes

Toyota’s OCM is still based on mileage. Currently it’s every 10k miles…PERIOD. I still don’t trust 10k oil change intervals for keeping a vehicle as long as I do. I know for a fact 5k oil changes will. Proven that many times.

1 Like

Tell that to the hospitals. They have no idea if other hospitals have called.
Last transport was emergent. Was told “Code White” which I have never before heard.
They were so happy when the product arrived. They said Code White means baby or child.

My brain will not let me read that.

1 Like

Yes. Not when all words are run together. Mine isimply wordsharing letters.

I remember when the oil change interval standard was 1200 miles and Kendal oil was putting up roadside signs claiming to be the 2000 mile motor oil. I, however have no trouble with Toyota’s one year or 10000 mile recommendation.

My car is 10 years and 9 months old and I change once a year which used to be at 7-8000 miles and my oil is still so clean that I have trouble reading the dipstick. I have to put the dipstick on a clean piece of paper towel to read it.

I don’t know why you are using a Fram filter, my Toyota dealer sells Toyota oil filters for $5.95. You also did not mention replacing the crush washer for the drain plug.

I used to buy either Mobil one or Pennzoil full synthetic , whichever had the better coupon and my price was usually $13- $15.

I just took my car to the dealer for an oil change and was pleasantly surprised. $68 including sales tax and a small shop supplies fee and no upsell. Quite a difference since the last time I was there. I left the Denso air and cabin filter boxes on the seat and let them know I had just changed them. Free coffee and cookies and I was out of there in 45 minutes. I no longer have a house or garage.

The Toyota filter was twice $$ the Fram but they look very similar.
(Do the Fram filters not meet the specifications of the Toyota filter?)
I cannot get to a Toyota dealer easily.
I clean the crush washer and re use it. Need to find more.

I do not trust how anyonelse changes oil. No one cleans anything.
They are practical and in a hurry. I want the oil to drain over night.

A crush washer is supposed to be a one time use device. I do not understand being so OCD about the rest of the oil change and reusing the crush washer. You get the Fram filters for $3 ?

There are Toyota dealers that sell them even cheaper online and will sell you the crush washers too. I would prefer a neoprene gasket myself, but never found one.

Even when reused several times, the crush washers still work just fine. No leakage.
Oil Cleanliness Disorder is about not getting grit on the engine in the engine.

Fram 9972 $5.95 at Walmart. Their own brand more.

Today just bought the 12-quart box of 0W-20 full synthetic from Walmart.