Garage owner in Youtube video suggests 5k oil changes

My point exactly. High risk of a screw-up.

There is no time in measuring 6 individual quart bottles.

You are making this messier and more difficult than it needs to be.

Oh. Thank you. Thought oursays OMR at 5k. (Nonetheless I go by my log book.)

Th.is the 12-quart box with spigot from Walmart.
No time when an emergency call mid oil change.
So everything set to go before I starthe oil change.
(They have a habit of calling me in the shower or changing oil.)

Ha! That’s why I hyperventilate to wake up and make sure I gothe correct order.
Now another blood run.

Letting it drain overnight worries me. Someone, including myself might not pay attention and get in the car and start it.

2 Likes

I agree with Nevada on this one.
The factory “Warranty and Services Guide” for your vehicle calls for 10,000 mile oil changes.

Withe SUV still up on the ramps, that reminds me.
Forgoto mention I dislike putting cold oil in a hot engine.
That’s why I say OCD - Oil Compulsive Disorder.

The garage owner in the video shows why 10k can be too long an interval.

@Robert-Gift

cutesyartificialaffectationoforiginalityaintnowaytocommunicateson

especiallyontechnicaltopicssuchasvehiclemaintenance

justsaying

5 Likes

As a registered tree-hugger and Greenie, I do not wanto use gasoline and also start an engine which exhausts much pollution before the catalyticonverter gets hot.
To avoid getting burned I use a ratchet extension on the 13mm oil plug.
Thankfully our Walmart accepts used oil and antifreeze in the same tank.

strong text
Incorrect.
I only share letters. Not run everything together.
You missed “topicsuch”

sameeffectofdifficultytoread

makesreadingyourpostsdifficult

3 Likes

“sameffect”
(In middle school I did this when Tom wanted a sign co$ting as little as possible.
I shared expen$ive letters. Everyone laughed.)

Funny once as a childish prank.

Annoying as a childish habit run rampant as a claimed adult.

But hey, your life, your style, your privilege to not outgrow your long stale childhood joke.

socarryonrunningonlyletterstogetherlikeamiddleschooler

5 Likes

Nothat difficulto read. Yours is.

Well said. Thanks

1 Like

Your vehicle, your choice. But let me add just one data point, and one data point is not a trend. My daughter has a 2014 Camry 4 cylinder. After the dealer did the two free oil changes at 10k intervals, I did an oil change for her at 25k miles.

I found the oil filter canister full of sludge. I cleaned it out and finished the oil change. Been doing oil changes every 7500 since and no sludge in the filter housing. It has around 120k now and runs just fine.

I also have a 2014 4-cyl Camry. My driving falls in the category of extreme use per the owner’s manual. So per the manual I have the oil changed about every five-thousand miles.

I also keep in mind that the manual says five-thousand miles or six months, whichever comes first.

I figure that the oil change interval is far less expensive than risking sludging the engine.

If I get back to averaging non-severe use pattern of driving I can always extend the change interval to more miles.

2 Likes

I can’t do cut and paste on this thing but back to overnight draining. I understand odds are prolly 1%, but I always consider if I became incapacitated during the oil change, I eouldnt want the wife to jump in the car with no oil in it. So while the oil Drains, the hood is up, and the measured replacement oil is on the radiator support. How she would get the drain plug in who knows but at least would know the job was not finished until the hood is closed. At 70 ya think about stuff like that.

I’ve been thinking maybe I should put put price tickets on some of my tools like my $500 welder and $300 planer, just in case.