Garage door program haunted?

I have a 2007 Nissan Murano that is either really smart or possessed. I programed one button for one garage door. Worked fine (I’ve done this several times in the past for different garage doors). I then programmed a different button for a second garage door. Both doors at the same house. After a day or two, the first button will start operating both garage doors at the same time. Even after clearing the programing and only programing one door, it will eventually start operating both doors again. What is going on?

Is the remote a Nissan universal or is it the door opener branded remote ?

Recently I bought a replacement additional remote for my garage door opener and found that they no longer had an exact match for the one I already had, so I bought the only one available now ( a multiple door remote for my single door ).
In the instructions I found multiple choice possibilities depending on age and model of opener.

I wonder if this might be for you ?
Maybe call the tech support for your opener brand ?

If this is a new problem for a remote that worked fine last month ?
Try a new battery.
Even though that one is working now, if it’s low…not bad yet, just low…that will create program havok as each use of the battery draws it way down near dead between uses, causing a virtual ‘‘reboot’’ each time.

You know how a flashlight can get run down one time…then you let it sit a couple hours and it works again for just a bit. A low remote battery has rebound in it too but its being too low causes oddities.

I’m not sure the OP is talking about a remote that is powered by a small battery. On my Sienna, I have a couple of buttons on the rear view mirror that I can program to do different things. These buttons work from the electrical system in the car. I have only programmed one button to open the garage door. I don’t carry the remote that came with the opener in the car.

Check both garage door openers for their dip switch positions. If the dip switches are set too close to each other the frequency from the remote opener can effect both door openers.

Tester

Good idea posted by @Tester, just try changing the codes on both the remotes and the openers, might be all you need.

My old garage door opener would stop working from time to time, and I’d have to open up the remote and use a plastic screwdriver to re-tune the variable inductor to better match the frequency of what the opener wanted.

That is a good idea posed by Tester, but a lot of modern systems do not have DIP switches to change. If the OP’s does, I think that’s the ticket. If this becomes more than an occasional nuisance, it should be possible to purchase a new receiver/remote combo for one or both of the two doors, preferably of a different brand, which should end the problem. I have a garage with 2 doors and ancient Genii openers. I replaced the receivers with aftermarket ones and a 2-channel remote the size of a keyfob for your car. The programmable buttons in my car work great on this system.

If you have the older style garage door system I suggest you change out the receivers to the newer style using the rolling code system. They can be easily replaced.

http://www.sears.com/liftmaster-635lm-sears-craftsman-liftmaster-chamberlain-security-universal/p-SPM6507275702?prdNo=14&blockNo=14&blockType=G14

http://www.chamberlain.com/clicker-and-accessories/garage-door-controls/universal-remote-control-replacement-kit

Are the buttons close together? Perhaps something is loose in the button assembly such that when one button is pressed it’s actually activating both buttons.

Years ago…my neighbor directly across the street from me, was having problems with his garage doors. His wife noticed that they would suddenly go up just as we arrived home. I took the remote out of my car and tried it on his door. It worked perfectly.

He told me that his remote was broken and he had been opening the garage doors by hand. I gave him my remote to use on his door and reset the dip switches on my unit and spare remote to use on my doors. The strange thing is…his garage door opener was a different brand than mine and the dip switch settings on his broken remote was completely different than the one I gave him. Security…but very little security.

I found out a few months later that burglars were using an “aftermarket” remote that was easily obtained from most home improvement stores. They were programming them right at the door to break into garages and houses. I disconnected my garage door opener after that and started opening the door by hand. We also started locking the entry door to the house that was in the garage. A little inconvenient but a lot more secure.

@missileman,
The old remote control systems did have issues like you mentioned but the newer ones of today that use the rolling code system have made things more secure. It is also easy to install a new receiver on your existing door system so you don’t have to replace it. Our old system would even activate the when our next door neighbor used his ham radio system with his high power linear amp. The external door switch wires were acting as an antenna for the RF signal. Placing some RF choke coils in the lines stopped that from happening and still allowed the DC switch control to work. I then later purchased the newer remote control system and haven’t had a problem since. If you would like to have the convenience of having a remote door again check it out.

The problem with the fixed code remotes is that thieves would use a scanner to capture the remote signel and then play it back to open the garage door at their leasure.

With the rolling code remotes that could not be done because getting the next code required knowing the specific remote’s programed memory.

I have always wondered how a garage door which had to like remotes with rolling codes did not get off sequence.

I have wondered the same thing myself @Reasearcher. Here is one place that has some good info.