Fuse Relay location

My engine fan seems to have stopped starting, I was reading my car manual about a fuse relay, I am not to sure where its located as its not a hanes manual and does not discuss the exact location. I have tried following the wire but it seems to go under the battery, I do not know if anyone here would know exactly what I would be looking for? Is there a way I can check out if this fuse relay is blown before I just grab some 10 guage wire and install a toggle switch in my car.

Thanks for any advice and help!

We might be able to help you if we knew the year of your Topaz?

Tester

Sorry I thought maybe that info was given with the sign up info 1993.

There’s a fusible link that provides power to the engine cooling fan

Instead of a fuse, there’s a length of wire of a certain gauge that acts as a fuse.

Here’s one example where a fusible link might be located.

In the case of your vehicle, the fusible link will be a 14 GA wire with a dark green color.

Tester

Is there anyway to indicate whether or not the fusible link is blown?

Yes!

Bend the wire.

And if it falls apart in your fingers, the link is blown.

Teter

Those cars are all old by now so the failure is likely with the fan itself. It’s not hard to check for that. The fan on the 87 Tempo failed in 96.

Your right, I took some 10 gauge wiring I had kicking around this evening and attached it to my battery directly, fan wouldn’t start so its dead.

I can’t argue w/the facts. If the fan is powered up with battery voltage and it doesn’t turn, the fan motor is probably kaput. But the most common reason for a radiator/engine fan to not turn on in vehicles of that vintage is b/c the coolant temp switch has failed. Not every engine design used that method, but if your topaz has a fan temp switch that screws into the engine somewhere, make sure it is working correctly. I’ve tested my Corolla’s by removing it and placing the active part in a pan of water which I heated on the stove, while measuring the resistance between the electrical terminals. I’ve had to replace that part twice, it lives in a pretty harsh environment.

In the meantime, be very careful to monitor the coolant temperature, as it will probably overheat in stop and go driving and especially when idling for any length of time. If it starts to overheat, turn the engine off.