Fuel tank capacity - real or estimate?

It seems more likely that the worker would spill his guts the second he got fired, which does happen from time to time. Or perhaps try to blackmail his now-hated ex-boss.

Yeah, that was how it got into that news report I saw. Can’t remember the show or I would have referenced it. Are you ready for this, his boss also withheld his wages for the drive offs he had during his shift.

I saw a show once about how this never happens. I can’t remember it either.

Seriously?

Fuel tanks have designed into them some air space, if they didn’t you would flood the evaporative Emissions system with raw fuel. If you allowed a tank to be completely filled with no air space in it, as soon as the fuel warmed up and expanded the evaporatived emissions system would have to deal with raw gasoline. If I remember right they leave about 10% air space. So a 13.2 gallon tank would hold about 14.5 gallons and that not counting the fill spout. So I’m guessing you were really close to empty.

There are three types of people in the world, sheep, wolves and sheepdogs who protect the sheep, be a sheepdog.

“There are three types of people in the world, sheep, wolfs and sheepdogs who protect the sheep, be a sheepdog”

Sorry to be a grammar nazi, but don’t you mean “wolves”?

You’re being a spelling nazi, not a grammar nazi.

oblivion

Your right and I fixed it I type in a hurry and I’m a horrible speller.

Thank you.

I’d bet my morning muffins that gas tank capacities as defined in the design package and carried through via the engineering specifications package into the owners’ manuals are calculated amounts that include the tank only without consideration for its peripheral plumbing or the pump volumetric displacement. Part of a car’s design is the packaging of each of its components and parts in with all of their neighboring parts, including the floorpan (or seat), the heat shield, etc. etc. etc.

These type of dimensions cannot be left to chance and measured afterwards. The tank is designed to accomodate the design goals of the vehicle and the space and configuration allotted to it and the capacity calculated.

Gas tank capacities as published in the owner’s manual are not presented as actual definitive measurements, and the gas gages are not presented as accurated depictions of fuel volume. Both are only references to help the consumer better understand their car’s range and when it’s getting time to fill up.

Just a thought: I think it’s impressive that there are so many posters here who express themselves so clearly and articulately. However, I notice that there is a lot of this spelling and grammar feedback given to newer OPs. I enthusiastically support the use of proper grammar, punctuation, and spelling, but can we agree to put the red marking pens away? It can be intimidating for new people.

Cdaquila, I agree.

I’m old. My fingers don’t always punch the correct keys. I cannot always see my errors through my glaucoma-affected eyes and my bifocals. And I learned my spelling long ago…and never really “took to” those artificial English rules.

I support “writing across curriculum” in educational environments. All teachers should be correcting the English in their students’ papers when they find errors. However, this isn’t and educational environment. Unless an error affects the meaning of the sentence, I agree that we should “put away our red pens”.

Besides, there are many who post for whom English is not their first language. They do their best. Some may even be neurosugeons. We should acept and accomodate their English.

I live in Mexico, and here I am the illiterate person. My rule of thumb is if I can make out what a person writes, it is fine with me. With one exception. The abbreviations and slang that folks use in phone texting are not suitable on a message board, and this is very offensive to most of us. Standard message board abbreviations such as ROFL (rolling on the floor laughing) or LOL, (laughing out loud) well, they are standard on message boards, and when properly used we need to learn them.

cdaquila, we regulars well know you are an official lackey for this board, but new posters may not know your opinion has considerable weight here. Just saying.

Good points. Plus, I think it helps to consider what you would or wouldn’t do in a live social interaction at a party.

And irlandes, I suppose you’re right. My lackey identity isn’t immediately apparent.

Keith

“The pumps are sometimes controlled through a little switch under the counter. The counter person can switch to make the pump more accurate when they see an auditor, or anyone filling an external container,”

Do you know this to be true, or are you listening to conspiracy theorist? If you really believe this is true, then I suggest forwarding it to your local state representative. I am sure they would like to get their name in the paper as the champion of driver. It would not be all that difficult to check it out

Re: the pump manipulation, I have absolutely never ever seen any indication of that form of fraud or of a mechanism to accoplish it. I’ll be the first to admit that anything is possible, but I cannot personally confirm this one.

I agree. It seems every other day I’m filling 5gallon cans with gas and diesel fuel. Granted, it’s impossible to see small errors but in general, I don’t see it either.

Re. correcting grammar (or spelling), I just think that if you’re using a line as your signature, the sooner someone points out an error, the less embarrassment overall for everyone. Just like if I walked out of the house with my fly open, I’d hope someone would point it out to me before I walked around all day like that. I wasn’t doing it to be an a$$.

You will note from his response and other posts that it was not a signature. Just wanted to point that out to you.

Joe, I saw it on a news show and it was quite awhile ago. I wish I could remember what show it was and the date it aired, but at the time, I didn’t know I would answering this post.

I’ve no doubt that dishonest manipulating has been done and that it was investigated on a TV program. But the posts suggesting that the practice is common, well, I’ve personally never seen any evidence of that.

I recall a 20/20 program some years back wherein they taped attendants at interstate service stations squirting oil on shocks and telling the people their shocks were leaking and needed immediate replacement…here and now. Crooked happens. But I’ve seen no evidence that it is as rampant as implied.

oblivion, I see it happening with some frequency, and from different people. I made the (apparently unfair) assumption that the grammar/usage/spelling advice was always being made in the spirit of nitpicking. Sorry to include you in that.

OK folks, enough on the grammar and spelling. As thrilling as the discussion is, I believe it would be considered hijacking a message thread and therefore not very polite. So, back to my gas tank…I finally drove the tank down to when the light comes on. And, for good measure, I kept driving another 10-15 miles to get to my regular gas station. Filling up on a cool July morning AND topping off, I could only squeeze 12.2 gallons into the tank which is consistent with my time-before-last fill-up of 12.8 gals.

Conclusion: I’m not going back to the “cheap” gas station where I bought a 14+ gallon fill-up.