Fuel Pump Cut off switch with option to enter sequence of digits

The typical switch is about hiding it - but it seems that most people knew where it is hidden.

Is there a Fuel Pump Cut off switch with an option to enter sequence of digits to turn it on?

I heard of a version where you can remove a piece of the switch - but apparently it wears out quickly. Another is with a remote enabling - it depends on the remote battery and so on - not so solid.

This is for a 2000 Honda

Thanks

Are SURE your Honda even HAS a fuel-pump cut-off switch?? Is so, it will have a manual reset, not an electronic one…

Yes, it does - the switch has become so common.

By common, do you mean common as in people you know adding switches to the cars? Just wanted to verify that as I wasn’t aware of any factory installed switch on this model.

Nor am I…

If you’re halfway handy with electronics, you could cobble something up yourself with stuff you can find on ebay for cheap. I’ve hooked something like this up around my house alarm, since my keypad was getting flaky and inconvenient.

For instance, do a search for “RFID Proximity Door Lock Access Control System” there. You’ll find a bunch of them, all for sub $10. It is basically a reader that closes a contact when it detects that an allowed fob is near. It allows itself to be programmed to recognize keyfobs. Once a keyfob is recognized, a contact is closed that you could use to latch a relay that controls your pump. When you ignition key is turned off, you could unlatch that relay and the pump will require another blip from your keyfob.

@RemcoW - this is a brilliant idea. Three questions:

1. “RFID Proximity Door Control System” - so this has to go inside the car somewhere?
  2. My car is parked not too far from my bedroom - how far does the keyfob needs to be away from the car to be effective?
  3. Apparently insurance companies does not honor claims if alternations were made to the fuel pumb circuits. Can I still do it to the ignition?

1 - yes, it basically consist of a box with a keyboard on it. Not sure how long the link stays alive but this is the one I got:

You need the keyboard to teach the device which fobs it should use. I’ve received 10 fobs and I had to set them all up so they’d work with the system. It is a simple key press procedure.
You could potentially just hide the actual unit behind a piece of plastic somewhere so the keyboard is hidden after that. As long as the RF goes through whatever it is hidden behind (like plastic), it should work fine.

2 - the distance is about an inch. It uses RFID tags – similar to the swipe keys you use to pay at certain gas stations.

3 - Shouldn’t be a problem. You can probably put the disabling relay in line with the thin wire going to the starter or the +12V of the coil. It would have the same effect.

It will require a bit of McGuyvering to get it to work but mine works like a charm with my house alarm system.

Is a 2000 Honda high on the theft lists? How much are you willing to spend to add another layer of protection?

I’m hesitant to recommend any DIY item such as wiring in a kill switch. You might just mess up the wiring in some unimagined way. If you put a kill switch in the fuel pump circuit it must be before the relay, otherwise it is going to carry a lot of current and could be a fire hazard.

Perhaps you need to consult and auto audio and electronics shop that does installations for advice and cost estimates.

“2 - the distance is about an inch” -> Are u saying from the keypad to the keyfob - if so, then the keypad should be VERY closer to the ignition - this might be tricky.

I will not install it - will have a certified electrician to do it.

In 2005 it was on the top of the list according to MSNBC auto.

Mine has low miles and it is an Integra.

Lowest is 10cm range (perfect):

I don’t believe the Honda Integra was sold in the United States. Is this not an Acura?

@sciconf: I was mentioning this as a McGuyer approach - that’s why I asked whether you were halfway handy with electronics. The actual cutoff relay could be physically remoted from this circuit. There’s no real reason why it would need to be close to it. The RFID reader could be in the kickpanel where the gas panel is, for instance. That removes easily since one usually needs to get to the radio.

An electrician would be likely not interested in dealing with it. It was just something to think about in this case.

Did your system work reliably?
There are a few people selling this on eBay - would you able to recommend one?
I am thinking of installing this on my car. Worried about quality of China products!

With all due respect @sciconf, your car was old when you started this post 9 years ago. Now it’s 20 years old. I don’t think it’s worth doing all of this for a car this old.

1 Like

I don’t make decision for others since I do not know their circumstances.

@RemcoW or anyone used RFID, pls comment on your experience. Living with 9yrs or or even fewer yrs with an RFID would give them the opportunity to share their experience - I appreciate their time. TIA

I didn’t make a decision for you, I gave you advice based on the information available. FYI Remco hasn’t been on the site since 2014, I doubt that they’re going to respond.

Absolutely, there is so much you didn’t know! Thanks for alerting me that @Remco has not been here for 7yrs.

Are there anyone who use RFID or have access to experts on retail RFID products and willing to comment on? There is so many version of RFID on eBay and I am unsure which one to choose or to look elsewhere!

9 years and you can’t make a decision? If you are not going to install it yourself just have a shop do it with something they will warranty.