Fuel injectors and Induction (?) coil

In a phone converstion with a Dealership service rep. he recommended having a fuel injector and induction (?)coil flush to the tune of $165+tax. This is on a 1999 SuperCab Ranger with 73,000 miles. There is nothing about this in the truck’s service manuel. Any thoughts.

Avoid that dealership. The fuel injector flush is a bogus revenue generator. The other is really a “fool injector flush”, the customer being the “fool”.

Q: How is the only way you can flush a coil?
A: Pull the handle.

Don’t waste your money on this “service.” As Mountainbike says, it’s a profit generator and nothing more. The gasoline you buy at the pump has all the fuel system detergents your car will ever need, and there’s no such thing as an induction coil. The air induction system is the plumbing through which incoming air is ducted to the engine. It does NOT need to be flushed.

As you say, they’re not in the service manual. There’s a reason for that.

First most flushes (brakes and cooling systems excepted) are designed to flush you wallet.

Second dealers are no better (or worse) than independent mechanics for almost anything you might need done on your car. They will almost always charge more per hour and often more for parts and supplies. They also tend to look at repairs a little different than the independent.

A dealer may well recommend work that strictly may not be needed, but could be connected to the problem or maybe replace a part when a little repair would fix it ALMOST as good a new.  

There is no need to bring your car to the dealer for any service other than service that is going to be paid for by a recall or original warrantee.  During the warranty period be sure to document all maintenance work.

I suggest that most people would be better off finding a good independent (Not working for a chain) mechanic. 

If it was really desirable, it would be in the owner's manual.

So what was the reason for your calling and talking to the service rep? A particular problem?

At 9 years and 73k miles it’s possible the truck could need both but there has to be a story behind your call and their recommendation.

Had a check engine light on. It was after they had run the diagonistics that they called. I had them replace the sensor, but refused the other services recommended. I will take it to an indepentent repair shop to have the transmission flushed and fluid changed and fuel filter changed. Both of these were recommended services at the 50,000 mile mark. I just felt that the induction and injector flush sounded fishy as the car was running ok when I took it in and still is after I got it back.

Still no idea as it could depend on what the CEL was saying and what sensor was replaced.