"Fuel induction flush"?

My 2006 Prius with 32,000 miles just went in for a regular service, and I’ve been called and told the service technician recommends a fuel induction flush to remove carbon deposits from the fuel intake. Since this dealer has always seemed to be straight with me I told them to do it and charge me $139.99, but I couldn’t get an explanation of how the intake became carboned up. Can you tell me, or do I have to consult Dewey, Cheetham and Howe??

There is no good reason for an engine with only 32k on it to have a problem with carbon deposits. I would suggest that you pass on this service in the future unless you are experiencing specific symptoms.

They ARE Cheating you…AND HOW…

There is no way this car with only 32k miles on it has carbon buildup. This is a Dealer Profit maker. Tell the dealer he’s full of crap. And NEVER go back there for ANY KIND OF SERVICE.

I call that a Wallet Flush

This “service” is a profit generator, and nothing more. Your Prius did not need it, and it never will.

To be honest, I have to wonder if they even did anything. How would you know?

I agree with the other posters; this is one more easy to, and very profitable wallet flushing service that dealers and other shops have. The only way to get carbon into you intake is if the engine frequently backfires through the intake valves. There actually is a real fuel induction/injector flush which removes varnish and other deposits left by the gasoline. This service should be done at a much higher mileage, like 60-70,000. My wife’s Nissan Sentra had this done at 70,000 and it cost about $55. Auto stores sell kits so you can do it yourself. From the garage’s point of view, as Clic & Clac have pointed out many times, once they buy that flushing machine they want it to make as much money for them as possible, even when “boat payments” are not due!! Go by the owner’s amnual, and you won’t likely find all these services in there. When cars had carburetors, and gasoline was much dirtier, we had a spray-in solvent for the throttle to prevent throttle and choke plates from sticking.

Exactly. This borders on fraud. The “Service Writer” who sold you this “service” gets paid by commission. He got perhaps 30% of your $139…

You just found reason #393 why not to take you car to the dealer (or whoever).  

Dealers are no better (or worse) than independent mechanics for almost anything you might need done on your car.  They will almost always charge more per hour and often more for parts and supplies.  They also tend to look at repairs a little different than the independent. 

A dealer may well recommend work that strictly may not be needed, but could be connected to the problem or maybe replace a part when a little repair would fix it ALMOST as good a new.  

There is no need to bring your car to the dealer for any service other than service that is going to be paid for by a recall or original warrantee. 

I suggest that most people would be better off finding a good independent (Not working for a chain) mechanic.