Clean Induction

Dealers always try to sell me induction cleaning at my oil change intervals. What is it and do I need it? It’s not in the maker’s required list of services.

Wallet flush.

If the vehicle has performance problems (runs poorly), an “induction cleaning”, and a “fuel system cleaning” (use google for definitions) can be beneficial. In Technical Service Bulletins, car makers advise these types of services for some performance problems. The car makers aren’t out to make money out of this service because the car maker doesn’t benefit. If there is no performance problems, these service may be needed on higher mileage, older, vehicles.

It is a costly way of cleaning your fuel injectors. You don’t need it unless you are experiencing problems with the car.

Good for you for knowing this isn’t on the manufacturer’s maintenance schedule! You have armed yourself with knowledge and it has saved you money.

Next time you go there, whip out your owner’s manual and ask them to show you where this service is mentioned in the owner’s manual. If that doesn’t put a stop to this shameful behavior, find a new dealership or independent mechanic to service your car.

Correct, unless it’s specified in your owner’s manual it’s not necessary. However you can do this very easily and inexpensively with a can of Seafoam or Power Foam as occasional maintenance. I’ve done this about 4 times in the past 7 years I’ve owned my car and my car continues to run like a top.