Fuel Injectors 98 Buick Regal

I have a 98 Buick Regal with 81,000 miles on it. Fuel injectors were cleaned at 48,000. I can not find any information on how often these should be cleaned if at all. Help please!

If you are using a good quality gasoline you shouldn’t have to worry about it. I have never cleaned the injectors in my cars and have never had any problem by doing so.

I have a 1998 Regal with 112,000 miles and I’ve never cleaned the injectors. As long as the car runs well, you should not have to clean them. If the engine starts running rough (the check engine light will come on), it is possible that an injector cleaning will help.

You clean them when they need it. If you don’t know if they need it, they don’t.

Today’s gasoline is required to have sufficient cleaners in it to protect your fuel system under normal conditions.

Thanks so much. I am newly divorced and was never responsible for the car maintenence. When I took my car in for an oil change today, they tried to sell me the fuel injector cleaning. I said no since I wasn’t sure I needed it. Thanks for your posts! Maribeth

Generally what will happen if an injector starts to act up is that the car may develop a slight miss or roughness at idle that will disappear when accelerating.
Cleaning injectors is not something you should worry about at all. Most injectors outlive the cars they’re in.

Maribeth,

Your owners manual will tell you what service should be done at certain mileage. The best thing you can do to keep the car running well is to change the oil and filter every 3 to 5 thousand miles along with the other fluids at their prescribed intervals. If you don’t currently have a trusted shop to handle these things then you might ask some friends where they go to have work done and are pleased with their work. Of course, you can always come here with your questions. There are some very good techies here with good helpful advice.

Glen