Fuel Injector Cleaning

I have a 2010 Toyota Corolla that just had its 60000 mile maintenance. I was told that I should pay $99.95 for fuel injector cleaning every 25000 miles and I skipped one. Well I skipped it again…do I really need this done? How often?

How is the car running?

Does it accelerate normally?
Does it have a smooth idle?
Is the gas mileage as good as it always was?

If you can answer, “yes”, to all 3 questions, then you don’t need that $100 wallet-cleaning.

On the other hand, if you can honestly give a, “no”, answer to any of those questions, then…perhaps it is a good idea. A bottle of Techron Fuel Injector Cleaner, added to your gas tank once or twice a year, can work wonders in many cases, but if there are severe accumulations on the injectors already, then a mechanic’s cleaning via the fuel rail is preferred.

What can you tell us about how the car runs?

It doesn’t accelerate as smoothly or quickly as it used to, but it seems to idle just fine and I haven’t noticed a change in mileage. Thanks for answering.

Maybe you should find someone else to maintain your car. If they want to sell you this questionable service, what else do they recommend that you don’t need? Ask everyone you know for a recommendation of a competent, honest shop. A few shops will get several recommendations. Try those first.

Go to a local autoparts store and pick up a can of Seafoam Engine Tuneup, and the next time you fill the gas tank add the can of Seafoam first and then fill the tank. See if that improves the performance out of the engine.

Tester