Fuel injectors

My friend owns a '99 Galant with about 75K miles on it and last time she had the oil changed they recommended that she have her fuel injectors cleaned although she hasn’t had any problems at all. Is that a rip-off or can she just pour a can of injector cleaner in the gas tank and leave it alone?

If the car is running fine then not only skip the recommended injector cleaning but also skip pouring anything into the tank.
If your friend ever has an injector problem this will be noticed by a slightly rough idle that clears up when the engine comes off of idle.

Where is she having these oil changes done? If it’s a quickie lube, she needs to stop going to those places. If it’s a dealer, she needs to find another one or a good independent shop.

To answer the question, yes it is a rip-off. Fuel injectors don’t need random can-in-the-tank cleaning at 75K unless there’s a performance problem, and dirty injectors are a suspect. In that case it’s a cheap try, but here it’s unnecessary.

I sounds like the oil change place just bought an injector flush machine. They are designed to flush the customer’s pockets.

Always avoid quick oil change places. I don’t know if your friend was using one, but they are famous for making up ways to get more of your money. That said read OK’s response as she might benefit from some cleaning. But most cars will not.

If there are no problems, a little Seafoam in the gas from time to time, and a Seafoam induction cleaning once in a while should be all that is necessary. Gas now has cleaners in them. Last time I had injector cleaning was in 1987 to resolve a sticking injector-never needed since.

Thank you for your input…I figured as such but I needed confirmation from other sources…you know how some(not all) women won’t take your word for it.

If there are no problems, a little Seafoam in the gas from time to time, and a Seafoam induction cleaning once in a while should be all that is necessary.

If there are no problems, why would any Seafoam be necessary?