Fuel filter fitting lubrication

I have a new fuel filter for replacement in my 2000 Toyota Camry. I plan to keep this car running and do regular preventive maintenance on it. So, when I install the new fuel filter I want to lubricate the fittings to make it easier for future filter replacements (every 30,000 miles). A common problem is difficulty loosening the bottom connecting bolt as they tend to corrode and stick and many have been cross threaded in the factory using high speed equipment. But I digress…
What is the best lubricant to use on the connector threads that will allow me to easily remove them in the future?

If you mean on the bolts, use anti seize.

2 Likes

If this car has a pressurized fuel injection system then I would not recommend changing the fuel filter unless you are experiencing symptoms that indicate your current filter is full. My brilliant former Toyota service manager told me (years ago) that the act of removing an old fuel filter from a fuel injected Toyota often breaks the fuel lines at the fitting and causes expensive repairs. I have NEVER replaced a fuel filter on any of my Toyotas since 1995 and have put more than 250,000 on all of them with no issues.

1 Like

Like the old saying…if it works,don’t touch anything!

Or:
If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it

1 Like

I do believe in replacing the inline fuel filter which is located under the car on many models. I would replace it every 100,000 miles. On the vehicles which I have done this on, the fuel filter is connected to two short lengths of fuel injection hose to the steel fuel line under the car.

When replacing the filter, it is usually necessary to use a razor blade to CAREFULLY cut the hose to pull it off. It is important to not scratch the mating surfaces of the steel fuel line, or else it will leak. And obviously, you need new lengths of the correct type of fuel injection hose and 4 new fuel injection fuel clamps. Do not use the worm drive hose clamps which are intended for coolant/transmission fluid.

Not sure what brand of vehicle you have worked on, but Toyotas that have an inline filter not located in the gas tank are attached with compression fittings and metal lines. Due to corrosion, the metal lines are easily damaged and then must be replaced at great expense. Standard advice on this type of filter is “don’t touch it unless it is not working”.

Not sure what Toyota’s you’ve changed the fuel filters on, but every one i’ve replaced has a banjo fitting at the top, and a flare fitting on the bottom.

Tester

Tester, you are correct. Banjo bolt on top and flare fitting on the bottom. The flare fitting is usually the problem.

I read the OP as a bolt that held the filter to the frame rather than the gas line in and out of the filter, bolt #4 in illustration, hence anti seize.
https://goo.gl/images/NRKAbb

The maintenance section in the owners manual for my wife’s 2002 Sonata didn’t mention replacing the fuel filter, she put 160 K on the car and never a problem.
A tech at the Hyundai dealer said adding a can of injector cleaner once a year would help keep the filter clean.

Dear Mr. Knuckles:
Is your Toyota service manager correct? Well to a point. The fuel line going to the filter is vulnerable to breaking and removing the bottom fitting is most often the cause. However, you can loosen the fitting with a few applications of penetrating oil and then replace the filter. Some people never replace the fuel filter but if it gets dirty that can tax the fuel pump and cause it to fail.

Yes, that’s exactly what I have.

Thanks PB. Yours was the only response that actually answered my question.