Fuel Economy

I have a 2007 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD 4WD Crew Cab with a 6.0 Vortec, I’m getting 10 mpg city and 12 mpg highway, I should be getting 13/17. What can I do to improve mileage?

Slow down, inflate your tires, keep a clean air filter, get rid of excess weight. Don’t do or buy anything gimmicky.

The 1500 4WD with the 6.0L is rated at 13/17. You have a substancially heavier truck with the same engine and possibly shorter rear end gearing. 10/12 MPG is a tiny bit low, but realistic. I don’t think you’re going to see 17 MPG out of that truck.

I got the 13/17 from the Chevy web site, I’m guessing that I have a 3.73 rear end. I plan on getting a cold air intake, can anybody help me with advice on changing the exhaust system, what about duals? Will it help me? What about changing a computor setting? My question is, if I put all this money into this truck, will it pay off in the long run?

My opinion is that investing in these modifications will not be cost effective at all and any mileage gain would be negligible at best.

Fresh spark plugs, properly inflated tires, etc. may be about it.
Changing axle ratios to something like 3.08s or higher may help but that would be especially pricy due to 4WD.

Unless the truck is an absolute necessity what about the idea of finding an older S-10, use that as a daily driver, and use the 3/4 ton for the musts?

Typically the 3/4 ton and 1 ton trucks or any vehicle with a GVWR of 8500 pounds or better don’t have EPA fuel estimates. I’m looking at the Chevy website and they are not forthcoming with fuel economy estimates with their 2500 or 3500 models. However I do know people with similar trucks to yours and 10-13 MPG is the best they can muster. The K1500 4x4 with the 6.0L Vortec is indeed rated for 13 MPG City and 17 MPG highway for a 2007 model. But since the K2500 can weigh upwards of 1000 pounds more than a K1500, I think 10-13 is about what you can expect. Unfortunately there is very little you can do to increase the fuel economy. You can swap out the front and rear end gears for 3.08s or 3.23s but your towing performance and acceleration will be compromised, you’ll probably never offset the $1200-$1500 cost in fuel savings anyway. I’m curious, why did you buy such a truck if fuel economy was an important issue?

The truck is getting the right gas mileage for its class. If it were possible to keep the speed down to about 59 MPH, you might help the highway mileage a little, but it just isn’t possible at the 65 MPH speed limit. You won’t improve your gas mileage with a different air filter. The current one is huge and isn’t restricting airflow. You want warm air for gas mileage and performance and your system is designed for nearly 40% warm air. You will get a leaner fuel mixture with the warmer air. Make sure you are using enough air pressure in your tires; they may be good at 60 PSI so read the pressure tag in the doorway or wherever they put it.

A cold air intake, different exhaust system and changes to the computer are going to cost you more money than they will ever save you in fuel costs. Putting money into your truck to save money on fuel will not pay off in the long run. Don’t waste your money on gimmicks or fads.

Go to the eye doctor and have your vision checked to make sure you are not myopic. Every day, I see dozens of people accelerate towards red lights instead of just letting their vehicles coast. Red lights that I can see from all the way back here! Appearently, myopia is a common problem and it’s a real gas mileage killer.

Correcting myopia will increase your gas mileage more than any gadget you can buy will.

I got the 13/17 from the Chevy web site

That number is likely an EPA number and for that year it would have been an optimistic number (they changed to a more realistic test procedure with the 2009 models. You also may well have different options than the one the EPA measured and I am sure GM would choose to publish the best results on their web site.

The absolute BEST thing you can do to increase gas mileage is to change your driving habits…There is NOTHING you can buy or install or put in the gas tank that will even come close to this.

No jack rabbit starts. Don’t brake hard…Slow down and brake slowly. Keep the speeds down…especially on the highway.

it’s winter time still and most stations have winter blend which will lower fuel economy a little bit.
However, given the size of the vehicle, you’re very lucky to get what you’re getting right now.

Um, no offense intended, honestly, but if you’re concerned about mileage do you really need something that massive? If you do that’s cool, but something that big will never get decent mileage. That’s a whole lot of vehicle.