Fuel economy at reduced speed - calculating cost per hour savings

Could I just say it again, the cost of extra gas used is a non issue for me. What I’ve lost in the market the last quarter is equal to my pension. Due to crazy policies. So a couple dollars for gas is like straining the gnat and swallowing the camel as it is written. Quick, look at the squirrel. Drive 55 to survive. Ya sure you betcha. On to supply chain issues and trying to keep babies alive. Chaos.

There has to more to the story because he could park 1/2 mile away and get to the office at starting time . Or he could just sleep in the office and they could bill that time.

1 Like

That’s the whole story.
He was working for one of the big Boston law firms, which was billing him out for hundreds of dollar an hour.

I set my highway speed to avoid:
losing control
being a nuisance to other drivers
getting speeding tickets.

So fuel cost is #4 or lower on my priority list.

2 Likes

I’ve done it. But not every day.

First 20 miles is 20-25 minutes. Last 5 miles (after I exit I-93 in Boston) was about 15 minutes. The middle 5 miles was anywhere from 40 minutes to 1.5 hours. Best option is taking the commuter rail. It was consistently 1.5 hrs each way. Nope…not worth it.

Heh, heh, had a supervisor that had a 60-90 minute commute. Asked him how/why he would do that. He said the commute was “his time”, time away from the wife and kids.

2 Likes

The problem with this logic is that small increments of time can’t be “banked” like money. So saving five minutes each way by driving faster doesn’t mean that you would be able to take advantage of having 40 extra work hours in a year. The ten minutes per day that you save just get consumed in your daily routine.

If you drive for a living, or are on a long trip, then sure you can accumulate some meaningful time savings by driving faster to save five minutes every hour.

They can’t? How are 6 minutes of reduced driving time that costs $1.20 extra different from an hour of reduced driving time that costs $12 extra?

Think of pulling an RV trailer where driving faster above 65 MPH could cost over $25 per hour of reduced travel time!

Snowman , just stop .

2 Likes

Okay, I encourage you try this out then: Ask your employer if you can take the last week of the year off because you were at the office an extra ten minutes every day prior.

2 Likes