Fuel economy at reduced speed - calculating cost per hour savings

“Ignore” button FTW.
It is however amusing to read the replies.

Edit: the above refers to replies to posts I ignore, then guess at what the ignored post said.

2 Likes

That is why I don’t use the Ignore button for him. :smiley:

I guess if you can’t dazzle them with your brilliance, then baffle them with your bulls@#t

4 Likes

Yep that’s the SNOWMAN more BS than Red Green ever had. :upside_down_face: :upside_down_face: :laughing:

My time is too dear for that. :sleeping:

Speed limit went from 65 to 70 for much of the sometimes 535 mile trip. Speed was 73 or 78. I got 22 miles per gallon both situations based on miles and gas used. Trailblazer 6 banger.

Do you have a trip computer or is this just estimated from fill ups at the gas station? A head wind or driving habits can be very significant. There should be some difference.

Just calculating wind resistance alone would account for an increase in energy used (fuel consumed) by a factor 1.14. Of course it’s not all wind. There is some linear drag, and a gasoline engine increases its efficiency at higher load, so take 1.07 as the fuel consumption increase as a very rough guess. So 22 MPG ($0.182 per mile at $4 a gallon) should drop to 20.6 ($0.177 per mile) with that speed increase.

Slowing from 78 ho 73 would save you $5.69 per hour of increased travel time at $4 gasoline. So it’s not worth it for you to slow down unless you’re poor. I wish I had real data to work with so I didn’t have to guess, since that figure is probably very inaccurate.

???
Either it saves money or it doesn’t, which is it? My fuel economy is certainly not dependent upon my salary, is it? Should I ask for a pay raise or pay cut in order to use less gas?

My commute from home to work is 44 miles door to door. This morning that drive took me 92 minutes. Monday it took me 55 minutes. Which was more economical?

Sorry just miles and gas, starting full, fill up half way through and fill up at end, only 14 years experience with the TB. Have to check, but thinking 22 or so on tach at 65 mph and 22.5 at 78.

Trying to get good miles per gallon has nothing to do with a person’s hourly wage or cost per hour .

I explained it already, but if you didn’t read it then here it is again. If your travel time takes away time from your work, then you lose money don’t you? If you drive slowly and get to work an hour later, and you save $9 in fuel by driving slowly, but you lose making $15 in income after taxes (assuming your fuel is taxable income) by arriving to work late, then you actually lost $6 by driving more slowly.

You knucklehead just leave in time to get to work on time . I think another poster is correct , you are off your meds.

2 Likes

Travel time generally takes time away from your leisure time, not your work time. Work is scheduled from 8 to 5 or 7 to 4 or whatever. Commute time is YOUR problem, not your employer’s.

2 Likes

Once again, I say my salary and my cost per mile have nothing to do with each other. The two have as much in common as a pig and a pair of pliers.

If you showed up for work an hour late and said it was to improve your fuel economy, I would look you in the eye and say such nonsense will not be tolerated and further unexcused absence will result in termination. Who would ever think being late for work is an option?

3 Likes

Have you ever done manual labor like painting or roofing for pay? Such work is often by the job. Get it done sooner and the next job starts sooner.

To leave earlier for work misses the point, time has value, on or off the company timeclock. If I arrive at work 20 minutes early, I expect to earn during that time. If I choose to work 2 extra hours after my schedule, I expect to be compensated for my time.

I value my personal time the same way, to spend 45 minutes in traffic consumes my time, I might find a new route.

During long trips I consider the time vs cost of the trip. When my employer pays for the expenses, I don’t drive 80 mph, that would be environmentally irresponsible.

1 Like

Certainly I have. Many years as a flat-rate mechanic, and I have worked under every pay plan under the sun. And being a business ownern is the ultimate “paid by the job” scenario.

Your question simply proves my point. Once one of my flat rate guys came in at 930 instead of 8 and wondered where his 4 hour radiator job went. I calmly explained that if he didn’t want me to give his paycheck to someone else he should be here on time.

But, once again, improving fuel mpg has nothing to do with your ability to be at work on time. The two exist independent of one another.

3 Likes

Work like this begins billing when the crew arrives on the site, difficult concept.

1 Like

How does that miss the point? That is the point. If you leave 15 minutes early for work or get there 15 minutes later so that you can save $3 on fuel by driving slowly, but the job pays $16 per hour and you lost $4 of work during those 15 minutes that you could have been at work if you drove faster, then you actually lost $1 by driving slowly. Maybe you would rather be driving than doing your job, in which case it may be worth it for $1.

Saving fuel is not an excuse for arriving later for work. I was referring to this;

1 Like