Front u joints

i have a 1999 dodge ram 1500 4x4 front axle u joints on both sides are bad how much trouble is it to replace them and will i need special tools thanks.

It’s not a walk in the park but it can be accomplished in an afternoon. You will need a repair manual like Haynes, a large floor jack and some strong jack stands as well as a 1/2 inch socket set. You may need a few larger sockets as well as a set of open/closed end wrenches. A large torque wrench will also be needed. A nice, flat concrete slab is also important. Safety first. Read the repair manual before you start the job.

Few DIY mechanics have the tools or skills to complete this repair…The front hubs / steering knuckles must be disassembled first, then the axles removed from the differential, then the u-joints replaced…If either yoke has been damaged, some VERY expensive and difficult to find parts will be needed…

what must be done to remove the axle from the differential

It looks like you will need several special tools to make the job easier. I can email you the procedures if you temporarily post your email or call me with it.

thank you my email is kalley5@msn.com