Front rear motor mount

I have a 2005 Chevy Malibu Classic with a 2.2L engine and I took it in to get inspected and the mechanic said the front rear motor mount needed replaced. I haven’t been able to find much info online. I’m not much of a car person so I don’t know where the mount is that he’s referring to. I took a picture and wanted to know if where the arrow is pointing is the motor mount (https://i.imgur.com/C792jNq.jpg). Also, if anyone knows how difficult it would be to change would also be helpful. Thanks

The motor mount will be at the front of the engine, where the serpentine belt is, between the engine and firewall.

Replacing the motor mount may require supporting the engine to do so.

So unless you have the tools/equipment to perform this task, it’s best to let someone do this who does.

Tester

Make sure your mechanic is familiar w/tsb 06-06-01-025. In some cases where a wobble is felt on acceleration from a stop the mount(s) just has to be adjusted, not replaced.

If the shop has inspected the mount carefully and found the rubber is cracked, deformed, leaking then it has to be replaced. It appears there’s four mounts on the 2.2 L, engine front, trans - front, rear, & left. It’s not clear from your description – “front rear” which one it is, but the replacement labor runs from 1/2 hour to 2 hours, depending on which one it is. Parts cost for a mount is typically $125 or so.

This isn’t a job you want to start your diy’er career with. To replace the mount you have to first remove the old one, and when the old mount is removed the engine will drop and damage something (including you possibly) unless it is properly supported. Diy’ers would often support the engine from the bottom, but the proper way is usually to support it from the top using a special engine-support fixture.

So what’s the purpose of the mount? If you watch the engine while it idles in the driveway, then a helper rev’s it, you’ll see the engine move, the whole engine/transmission ass’y rotates a little. That’s the purpose of the mount, to allow some flexibility to rotate. If the engine was bolted directly to the body with no rubber interface (mount), the bolts or the steel would crack over time from the rotational forces.