From where to buy tires?

Costco sells Michlin / Goodrich at decent prices…Nobody needs anything higher than “H” rated for street driving. The big chain stores have been “lawyered” into insisting on original equipment speed ratings, a CYA move. There are several online tire stores now…You can purchase the tires YOU want and have a second tier tire shop mount and balance them no questions asked…

With all the size and speed rating expansion, even big tire dealers are running out of shelf-space…

Go to Costco. You want great service as well as price .
Costco is the best. If they don’t have the tire you need just order at Costco.com . Plus they rotate for free! They ship free to the Costo store and put them on for you. The warranty is generous. We did just that and the tires were installed a week after we ordered them. Costco is truly the best way to go.
Paul

I would go to Costco IF there was one near me. Closest one is 30 miles away.

I use to go to BJ’s…Same as Costco and Sams. Owned by TJ Max corp. But the tire shop is now run by Monro Muffler…Monro Muffler is the typical chain auto repair store. Every time they look at your car it ALWAYS needs something…and MOST of the time it DOESN’T.

Stay away from Pep Boys. They sold me the wrong tires for my vehicle and two of them were defective.

Don’t buy Firestone. They tried to kill me with their tires. They are prone to puncture and blowouts.

yah, stay the h away from peeboys,
“I second that emotion”

My tire dealer says he drops one level on tires for his car, but no lower. You can drop to H from V without serious ramifications. It does seem like V rated tires on a Camry is out of character with the brand.

You can shop tires on line. The tire centers near you probably have web sites. Look at the tires they recommend for your car. You might find that they recommend ratings far lower than V for a 2005 Camry. And you also see the prices. I use Tire Rack as a resource and then find tires at my local dealer that rate well at Tire Rack and are attractively priced.

ever since I have discovered Tirerack.com i have not purchased tires from anywhere else.
If you have a walmart with tire center next to you tirerack is the way to go. Have tires shipped to your home and go to walmart to install them for about $15 per wheel.
The overall package price cannot be beaten in most cases.

Great selection, great prices and opinions from people that actually used the tires rather than some pushy salesman that’s interested in selling you crappy OEM tire that has most mark up.

Sam’s has some good prices on tires too. About a year ago I bought (4) 185/65/14 BF Goodrich 70,000 mile radials out the door for about $300. That included free lifetime balance, rotation, road hazard, and flat repairs.

ever since I have discovered Tirerack.com i have not purchased tires from anywhere else.

Tirerack is fine IF you live in a state that has a sales tax. Here in NH with no sales tax…I can do better then Tireracks price. Tirerack doesn’t charge sales tax, but they do charge for shipping.

We’ve had great service from Costco. The free rotation and balance is worth something. When I last bought new tires (Michelin X-ICE), they asked me to come back a few days later so they could re-torque the studs, since the wheels were new as well.

Thanks guys, I bought my tires from discount tires. Great service. Store seems to clean and good display and selection options. I did not buy cheapest tires. My last tires were 6 years ago. At that time I paid $300 (with rebate) and now I paid around $550. Both times I choose quiet tires and good handling. This is not apple to apple to comparison as old tires are no longer being make but point I am making is inflation has almost doubled the price.

Told ya so… :wink: They have been good to me also…I use them exclusively

OH WAIT…you went into a store? The place I am referring to is www.tires.com which resolves to Discount tires direct I believe… I cant walk into a store for the place I am thinking of…different place then?

Same thing, Blackbird. The chain known as Discount Tire owns the tires.com domain and redirects to their main website. Try it again and use the store locator to find the bricks-and-mortar store nearest you.

Hmmm no sh&^? Apparently there’s nothing near the Philly area…just checked.

tires.com is OK but for me Tirerack is cheaper.
the tires I bought recently came out to be $550 total with shipping at mounting at local walmart.
Price out the door at DiscountTire store for the exact same tire and size would be over $100 more. (buying through tires.com interface)

I guess this proves that you need to shop around as what works for some will not necessarily work for others.

I have purchased from both Tire Rack and Tires.com, and I agree that TR is almost always a bit less expensive. When I bought my last set of winter tires, I got them from Tires.com simply because TR did not have a set of steel wheels in the size that I needed.

So, in theory I paid more at tires.com, but in reality TR could not help me at that point. For reasons like this, it pays to shop on both websites.

“Apparently there’s nothing near the Philly area…”

I use Mr. Tire. It looks like there are several stores in the Philly metro area. A lot of it is the crew that works at the shop, but the one in my neighborhood has been good to me. I’ve bought 5 sets of tires there and had other work done. They never recommended extra work to pay for the boat.

Fordman1959… 185/65/14 cookie cutters don’t count in this discussion. Wheelbarrel tires don’t have to be changed that often… :wink:

185/65/14…Jeezus…I’m facin the tab on 225/40/18…the most xpensive tire in my life to date…AND BOY does it go UP from there…LOL

My buddy has a Vette…lol and others BIG 20’’ SUV’s…LOL They have a heart attack about tires…

My point was Sam’s pricing not the size. The same tire I got at Sam’s for $300. out the door, at Tire Rack would have cost about $375. including shipping and road hazard plus I would still have had to pay to have them mounted, balanced (single use balance instead of lifetime and no rotation), disposal fees and new valve stems which would have been another $40.-$60. bringing the total to $415.-$435. or an additional 38-45%. Saving is saving regardless of tire size. It’s also likely the savings would be even more on larger sizes because of shipping weight.