From Quora: New car batteries will not charge once totally dead

“… our mechanic … had the old battery and replacement battery side by side in the bench. He said lift each battery. I did and the battery from a new vehicle weighed less than half it’s replacement. They were putting the cheapest thing they could find in the new trucks”

Why did you post this rambling discussion from random posters from Quora as if they had actual facts?

As for this… my newest (and smallest and lightest) car has the biggest and heaviest battery.

Lifting a battery is certainly scientific test of a battery .

3 Likes

If that discussion was correct, then why are we not swamped by complaints from new car owners about failing batteries?

2 Likes

I know with the new C8 being so heavy with electronics and computers, that some owners were having problems with their batteries draining overnight. It seems that when the key fob is stored close to the vehicle that it is in constant communication with the vehicle, keeping some electronics on when it would normally be off.

2 Likes

That does seem to happen with various new cars. Whenever I get one I’ll get a tin box to store the fob when not in use.

3 Likes

https://youtube.com/watch?v=VsC8cKxSjfk

1 Like

I’m currently using a lithium-iron-phosphate battery in my motorcycle. It’s a fraction of the weight of a lead acid battery and they don’t self-discharge when idle eliminating the need for a battery tender during the winter months. But discharge one of these batteries completely just once and it’s toast.

The old lead acid battery was still cranking the engine just fine, but it was very difficult to get the engine to start, especially on a cool morning. I thought something was wrong with the engine’s fuel injection but then I noticed that when it did start, the instrument panel would re-boot, the tach needle going all the way to the right and then returning, something it does when you first turn on the ignition. That gave me the clue that the voltage was below a certain threshold during the start. I bought this new battery and now it starts instantly, and the instrument panel does not re-boot after the engine starts. In fact, the lights barely dim at all during cranking.

1 Like

Modern electronics (designers): smart yet stupid!
Would be so simple for the system to time out and sleep after a minute.

2 Likes