2009 Volvo C30 - Dead battery

I left Hawaii to visit Alaska for 4 days, got back, and my 4-year old car battery was dead. It would not take a charge, but could be jumped, however, now it had to be repeatedly jumped. The alternator was fine. Why would being going for just a short time simply kill my battery? I simply forgot to unhook the cables. I purchased a new battery and it runs like a charm. Why does not starting the car result in such a drastic outcome? I remember growing up that if the battery died, it could be brought back to life with a jump and that was all it needed.

Your battery gave up because it was at it’s end of life. Simple as that. Some seem to last forever and I have had some that just did not last. A good battery will be fine for four days . I have let one vehicle set for 3 weeks and it started just fine.

4 Likes

Batteries do not live forever.
There are responders on this site that will keep their batteries until they die.
Others, like myself, replace them when 3-5 years old.
I just had a battery fail at 18 months-replaced free under warranty.

My 82 Dodge truck that I use to have, the battery in it would hold a charge for 6 months or more, only drove it a couple times a year, never had to jump/charge it, But then I also had a huge marine dual purpose battery in it.