Frigid VW Bus

I moved from Seattle to Great Falls, MT. Sparky, my 1968 VW bus drove great here for two days, but this morning wouldn’t start. There was a click and the lights came on, but he wouldn’t turn over. My B-friend removed the battery to the hotel room for a few hours and put it back in. It didn’t start. My B-friend crawled under Sparkey and banged on the started while I was inside turning the key. After about 12 tries Sparky fired up and all was well. It is in the teens at night and 23 to 33 degrees in the day. How do we prevent this difficult cold start. Sparkey has a new engine, new trans and is cute as a button…we want to keep him, but don’t want a huge hassle every morning. Please help us keep him :slight_smile:

If you’re having to bang on the starter, that would suggest, well, a sticky solenoid. Have you looked into getting a rebuilt starter?

I would suggest buying a rechargeable jumper pack, though. Keep it charged up inside, for the mornings when you need to jump start the bus because the battery died from too much cold overnight or because you had to crank too many times and the engine wouldn’t start…that’s easier than bringing the battery in for the night.

And kudos to you for keeping an old bus like that running, especially through a Montana winter. I’d throw a couple of sleeping bags in the back, and extra food for those winter driving emergencies!

PS–get yourself some serious snow tires—ones designed specifically for the bus. I forget what they’re called, but you can find them advertised on the VW bus websites.

If you have to bang on the starter to get the engine to start, you need a new starter. The starter has worn brushes and/or worn bearing/bushings and is dragging.

I went through this with my Mazda. Bang on the starter it started. No bang no start. A new starter fixed it.

Tester

You will probably not be able to find a new starter for the bus, but it can be rebuilt. Look/ ask around for a electric motor repair shop (they are out there). A new battery wouldn’t hurt either, if the one you have is 5 years or older.
Also, if the bus has a standard (manual) transmission: if possible, park it at night facing downhill on a fairly steep and long grade. You can let the bus roll and let out the clutch with the key in the run position and it will start without any need to bang on the starter. Just don’t use this as a permanent solution.

Yes, sounds like you need to fix the starter. These VWs can handle cold weather, a friend used one (a '61 with a 6 volt system, no less, and he still drives it) for years in frigid Alberta. Just make sure you have fresh oil in it, they need to be changed frequently.

And starters are still available, VWs are such collectors items you can find pretty much anything you need. Rockauto.com lists a few.

If you want to keep this 43-year-old running, you’ll want to find a good old VW mechanic, and get some info on your van (manuals, etc.).

Assuming there is no problem with the battery cables, etc. then this could point to a failing starter motor.

You state the bus has a new trans. Does this mean rebuilt or used and new to the bus?
Often what happens with an iffy starter motor is that the bushing in the transaxle is worn. If the trans was rebuilt then this bushing is generally overlooked as it’s not considered part of a trans overhaul.

The starter motor does not have a nose-piece like conventional starters. This means that the starter armature rides on that bushing, which is located inside of the transaxle. When the bushing is worn the starter motor will drag and go stupid.
A reman starter SHOULD come with a new bushing and the transaxle does not have to be removed or disassembled to change this bushing.

If the transaxle was rebuilt then whoever did this should have put a new bushing in at that time.

Forget about a jumper-pack with this van. If it is like my 71 there is a huge oil bath air cleaner that has to be disassembled to het at the battery which is tucked into the passenger side of the engine compartment and has to be slid out sideways to access it. Get your battery load tested and if it isn’t in tip top shape buy the best one you can find.

And check the date code to make sure it is fresh.

You need a copy of:

HOW TO KEEP YOUR VOLKSWAGEN ALIVE. A MANUAL OF STEP BY STEP PROCEDURES FOR THE COMPLEAT IDIOT, by John Muir. 1972 edition recommended if possible. Try e-bay or Amazon, or any place that sells used books. It cost me $5.50 in 197?, but if you have to pay ten times that today, grab it.

This book was intended for the Sedan (old bug), Ghia, and Transporter (correct name for bus, I think.)

The book tells how to secure the car, key off, out of gear, wheel blocked, find under the car the starter and solenoid, and short across the two solenoid leads with a screwdriver. If the starter runs, (the motor may not turn over, since the gear is not activated by this technique) the problem is the solenoid. If it doesn’t run, it’s the starter.

And, in the book it tells how to overhaul the starter, solenoid, and pinion gear.

But, back in second thoughts, he adds that sometimes not enough voltage makes it to the solenoid to activate it, and tells how to cob it up. Could be a poor contact in the switch.

I was going to suggest a block heater you can plug in every night to keep Ol’ Sparkey warm, but I’m not sure they are available for him. Maybe someone else could advise on that…

One more thing - sign up at thesamba.com, old vw forum/online community. Lots of info there.

Starter bushing.

Yeah the starter but with all due respect, those are one of the most dangerous vehicles ever built. I think it might be time to just park it in a museum.

Yup, it’s probably the starter bushing. Cheaper than either a battery or complete starter which should include the bushing anyway. Give it a shot. If it’s wrong (and it’s not) you will have already replaced the bushing for the new starter.

A block heater heats the coolant. This engine has no coolant. It is air cooled.

You need a copy of:

HOW TO KEEP YOUR VOLKSWAGEN ALIVE. A MANUAL OF STEP BY STEP PROCEDURES FOR THE COMPLEAT IDIOT, by John Muir.

I totally agree.   BTW it is great reading even if you don't know what an air cooled engine is.

I realized that but what I meant was, there may be a different type of heater available for this car. (Engine oil heater or something to that effect.)

as you’ve already been told its Not the weather its the Starter. I suggest new bfriend and the bus is a she not a he :slight_smile: