Friday 12/10/2021 Sacramento California Bee cartalk artical, TPMS only transmitts when stopped

I just replaced 4 sensors in my Mustang because I bought a new set of wheels and the old sensors were 7 years old. Cost me $45 for 4 sensors, they installed much like non tpms valve stems so it didn’t cost extra.

There was NO tpms error until I drove the car a few miles. At that point I used a tool to connect them to the car. To me, that proves they work when the car is moving, not sitting still. And Ford tpms systems I have used do not display each tire’s pressure. They only warn if one is low. GM systems will tell each tires pressure sitting or rolling. Audi, rolling only as it does not use a pressure sensor.

The CarTalk column is wrong.

1 Like

Tire pressure monitors on passenger vehicles and light trucks are required to monitor the pressure while moving, the purpose of the system is to prevent accidents.

Vehicles with pressure displays you can watch the tire pressure increase while driving as the tires warm up.

Sensor/transmitter batteries are not easily replaceable. In the picture bellow, the cover has broken off of the sensor exposing the battery and circuit board. The battery is spot welded and soldered to the board. What you can’t see is the clear epoxy completely covering the parts.

1 Like

If you’re installing Factory TPMS on your Ford F-350,
why tell us you bought an aftermarket system for your 5th wheel trailer ?

2 Likes

My truck just displays low tire alert, been triggered when I picked up a nail 30 feet from my driveway.
Car monitors and displays pressure whether car is moving or not. When driving shows actual PSI , I can watch the pressure increase as I drive.

Reread the column, now I see where it says the TPMS sends a signal when stopped. Odd statement, that varies by make, both of my systems alert when moving or not.

The article in question just showed up on the Car Talk main page and still states the TPMS only works when stopped .

1 Like

"Most of them last about 7-10 years – less if you do a lot of stop-and-go driving, because the sensors only send their signals to the car’s computer when the car is stopped. "

In the experiences I have had with TPMS, I think Ray missed it with this one…

2 Likes

For that manufacturer.

I didn’t see mention of a specific vehicle in the article currently posted on the main car talk page.

Exactly, therein lies the problem.

1 Like

I have never seen a TPMS sensor that had a serviceable battery.

I almost never use original equipment sensors, we carry aftermarket sensors that work flawlessly.

Would you share some examples of the ones you like? Ones that would be compatible with 2014 Toyota?

The brand carried at Costco Tire Centers is Dill, and they have worked flawlessly on two of my Subarus and on my friend’s Toyota.

The brand name escapes me at the moment and I am at home recovering from a triple bypass, so I can’t go over and look. You do need dedicated equipment for that brand. We haven’t had a car yet that they don’t work for.