Found on Road, Dead?

Compression that is zero or headed that way ususally means a cylnder head problem unless a few pistons have surrendered due to severe, chronic pre-ignition. The piston issue is generally obvious due to the rattling before the give up.

Ten minutes straight on a 6% grade with iffy gasoline and possibly an inoperative EGR system could do it. The question is: was it rattling while climbing?

Nobody mentioned this…

DO NOT PUT IT IN NEUTRAL AND COAST DOWN A HILL.

it is dangerous and does not save gas. You also do not have full control of your vehicle.

Bad justin23, bad. Don’t make me tell you again. I got my eyes on you.

meaneyedcatz Thank you for saving me the typing. In my state it is illegal and has been for as long as I can remember. Whether it is legal or not in your state justin23. It is still a very bad idea.

i didn’t know it was illegal in some states, thanks for the advice

The main thing is to determine why no compression in a couple of cylinders. A broken belt and stationary cam could explain it. One would hope the mechanic sorted this out.
Has he not considered a broken timing belt?

Generally speaking, when a timing belt breaks the starter motor will crank the engine over much faster than normal.

I’m kind of disappointed in the mechanic for not realizing the motor has a timing belt

In many cases, a glance at the timing case cover will often reveal if it’s got a timing chain or a belt

Reading the title of this posting, I thought we were going to be trading cooking tips for opossum, and raccoon’s.

Yosemite

thanks for all your help guys, verdict? opened up timing cover, not one tooth left on that smooth belt , wow . guess that’ll do it!

Thanks for the update and good on you for the simple to fix outcome. What a coincidence. Just yesterday had a car–Chrysler PT Cruiser–towed in that died while driving. No start, fault code for no cam sensor signal. Of course there was no cam signal, the cam wasn’t turning, stripped timing belt.

Just wondering, how long did it take your mechanic to come to such a simple conclusion?

this post has actually been my father in laws experience and the Ford Ranger is his vehicle, i am just the internet savvy secretary, my father in law was the one to do the work, he had a feeling the mechanic was going to take him to lunch, haha. i think the mechanic knew what it was but was trying to take advantage of him. somy father in law towed it home and then he repaired it about a week ago, he had enough confidence to go through with the repair because of you guys’ input. thanks again asemaster

@justin23 So the truck is on the road again?

Did it just need a timing belt, idler and tensioner?

Good news, in any case!

Interesting. I had the same experience once. Timing sprocket went on my Riviera. Mechanic said engine was shot but wanted to buy it for $500 since he had an engine. Had it towed the 50 miles home and put $125 worth of sprockets and timing chain on and it was good as new.