Found On Road Dead: Spark Plug Electrode broke, now I need a whole new engine?

I’m kinda curious as to why they disassembled the engine in the first place. Pull the plug, go in with a borescope camera and if there is an electrode in there, pull it out with a magnet. The put in a new plug and send the customer on his way.

I would agree.

My position hasn’t changed . . . I still say it might boil down to the individual service manager at that particular dealership. I’ve seen service directors change their tune in a hurry when customers got a lawyer involved

what about the block . . . leave it alone and hope for the best?

the cylinder walls definitely have sustained some damage. Due to the displaced metal, I would expect the cylinder walls have some high spots, which would concern me more than the low spots

I’ll say something else, though . . .

If I were to do what you proposed . . . which is presumably send the head out to the machine shop, but leave the bottom end alone . . . if the engine ran reasonably well, I would immediately plan on selling and/or trading in the truck. If I traded it in, I would not say a darn thing about the engine’s history, unless they asked, and I suspect they wouldn’t care to ask. And if I sold it private party, I would be completely upfront about the engine and offer it for a relatively low price, relative to other 2013 F-150 5.0 trucks with similar miles

Why? And what do you consider “reasonably well”? We probably have different definitions of what constitutes running “reasonably well”. For me, an engine runs “reasonably well” if it starts on the first or second try, stays running until I turn it off, does not overheat or consume coolant, and uses no more than a quart of oil every 1000 miles. If it shakes a little at idle, or has a constant check engine light, whatever, as long as I can clear the codes and get it to stay off long enough to go through emissions.

If it’s shaking and I have to manually clear a misfire code with a scanner . . . then it’s not running reasonably well, by my estimation

Why what . . . ?!

why plan on selling or trading in . . . ?!

There’s no way I would have long term confidence in that particular vehicle . . . not in the motor, to be quite specific

Yes . . . we do :smiley:

The second picture is a VALVE, not the PISTON, There are nicks on the valve and on the head near the valve seat. The only ones to be concerned about there are the ones near the periphery of the valve. I would replace the valve because it could be cracked in the area where it seats.

A similar concern about nicks at the periphery of the piston which could have cracked the ring ledge–something else that could break loose.

I’d involve the plug supplier (Motorcraft) and include both Ford and Motorcraft in the lawyer letters. If that were unsuccessful, I’d replace the piston and valve and hone the cylinder real well. Then replace the piston, rod, and rod bearing on the crank and reassemble.

Since everyone else has a story, here’s mine.

Back in about 1965, the brother-in-law was working on his MGB-GT. He had the dual side-draft SU carbs and heat shield off–I forget why. During reassembly he dropped a small machine screw, the Whitworth equivalent of a 6-32x3/8" or so. He looked all over for it, but couldn’t find it.

He started the car and took it for a drive. It seemed okay but was missing on one cylinder. He asked my advice. I pulled plug wires one at a time and for one there was no difference. We removed that spark plug and the outside electrode was bent so it was just touching the center electrode. We shook our heads and regapped and reinstalled the plug. No difference. Removed it again and the electrodes were again shorted. I had him turn the engine over by hand until that piston was at TDC and sure enough, there was the screw, embedded in the top of the piston.

We didn’t have borescopes in those days, but with a flashlight you could see that the screw was at the outer edge of the piston and had cracked the ring ledge. He had to do a complete teardown to replace the piston, but the cylinder wall was not damaged,.

1 Like

Hopefully we hear back from @MikeBennett40 soon

I’m assuming the reason he hasn’t updated us in a few days is because he’s contact that lawyer, and things are progressing . . . :thinking:

1 Like

I’m never in favor of cobbling anything together, ever. However, if I was the one ended up on the short end of this stick I’d cobble before handing them 12 grand and mumble a little prayer.