Formula 1 Jack Guy

Formula 1 Jack Guy

1 Like

That is pretty funny…

My gas jockey duties were at a Citgo station on the NJ Turnpike, and our customers included the state troopers, who drove huge Chrysler New Yorker Six Window sedans in those days. In case the younger members don’t recall that model, this is what they looked like:

Anyway, if we were bored, and if there weren’t a lot of other customers at the moment, the 4 to 6 guys on duty would swarm a trooper car and do our best imitation of a high-speed pit stop. To the trooper’s amusment, it sometimes included cleaning the Grimes lights on the roof of the trooper car.

That’s a big trunk. People don’t realize how big trunks used to be. You could get 2-3 big guys in there no problem.

Off topic but it’s interesting to hear how some of these people get their cushy jobs. The wife had judge Judy on the other day and I commented why she is worth 14 million a year compared to me? I’m not jealous or anything and perfectly happy, but I think I’m right more times than she is. Then we need to remember the disadvantages that we don’t often see.

The jack man has to stand there targeted by the race car while the driver maintains the max pit speed and yet still stops on a dime without drilling the jack man. Not too short, not too far. The jack man then lifts the car and watches the crew chief for the exact instant the tire changers have finished tightening the wheels at which time he drops the car and yanks the jack out of the way of the accelerating car. All in 2.3 seconds.

1 Like

Yup! I think that the length of that Chrysler’s trunk is roughly the equivalent of an entire Scion/Toyota IQ.

I use to own a 66 Fleetwood. Those trunks were HUGE. That car wouldn’t fit in my garage. Barely fit through the opening, and once I hit the stairs leading into the kitchen the back end of car would be a couple inches outside the door. I’d have to scoot out the passenger door to egress (at least it has bench seats).

I know I could fit at 3people and maybe a 4th in the trunk of my ‘63 Buick Wildcat, and probably 72the Olds Delta 88 Royale too.

I had a '66 Chrysler Newport. The trunk was cavernous. We never had to sneak anyone into the drive-in theater but could have fit a half dozen friends in there…

1 Like

That is a comfortable spot to sneak 4 friends into the drive-in!

The 2 Cutlass’s ‘69 & ‘70, could hold a fair bit for being (at the time) mid size cars. Now a car the the same basic size as the ‘60’s and ‘70’s Cutlass is considered full size.

The few remaining Drive-ins that I know of gave up on head count. It’s X dollars a car load.

1 Like

Today’s sedan trunks can come close, depending on the make or model of car:

Today’s car bodies are both lower to the ground and are taller, by several inches. Trunks have evolved to match the scaling of these modern proportions.

How about the Back-up Jack Guy! In theory, he never has to do anything!

2 Likes

He’s there to chase the wheel that got away :joy:

There’s one guy for every tire that comes off. His only job is to take the tire off and hold onto it. There should be no stray tires.

2 Likes

And I see it happen at least once every couple of weekends.

Why do the pit crew wear racing helmets? And why can’t I find a jack like that for my street ride?

To put it simply - safety. A pit stop can be a frantic exercise with all sorts of activity taking place. It involves changing heavy wheels, sometimes body work, whilst you’ve got people running around with drills and other gear. So getting wacked in the head by any of this can cause serious injury. Dec 14, 2020

https://www.quora.com/Why-do-F1-pit-crews-wear-helmets#:~:text=To%20put%20it%20simply%20-%20safety,this%20can%20cause%20serious%20injury.

Since 2002 , NASCAR has implemented a rule where all over the wall pit members are required to wear helmets, no visors needed, full fire suits, and gloves; while the gas man must wear a fire apron as well as the suit.

Safety in NASCAR - Wikipedia.

1 Like

Pit crew members have to wear certain safety items: Helmets, fire resistant clothing, etc. What;'s required depends on the racing series.

The jack? You can buy those at many places. Google is your friend. Don’t forget there are limitations for jacks, and the ones used in Formula 1 have to have a place on the car set up for that purpose!