Forget Roadside Assistance, Ford will soon offer "Air-Side" Assistance…

Forget Roadside Assistance, Ford will soon offer “Air-Side” Assistance…

The Ford Company filed for a Patent that would use drones back in 2017 and only recently had the patent published.

Under the patent, Ford would be able to fly a drone to a vehicle in need of assistance and provide jumper cables or open the car hood and charge directly from the drone itself, as reported by Ford Authority.

Rather than just copying the article, here is the Link…

And here is another link…

I am an FAA Part 107 Licensed Unmanned Aircraft Systems Pilot (Licensed Drone Pilot…) and I am active on various Drone Web Sites and I receive FAA News, Rules, and Law Updates, and this is the first I’ve heard of this…

And after Googling this, it appears it was no secret… The next time you need a jump, how would you like “Robo-Mechanic” to assist you?

Or, you are stopped at a Stoplight and a Drone flutters by and asks, “Hey Mister, Clean your windshield?”

Interesting, what all do you fly??
I was in the RC Hobby flying mulicopters before my knee went out in 2018… Haven’t flown in years, still have everything, just haven’t picked it back up yet… miss it though…

Also have a friend that builds drones for the logging industry, pulls cables in minutes that used to take hours, days to run, or had the crazy price of a helicopter to do the runs…

Not to get too far off subject… I fly the DJI Mini 2, and for the uninitiated, a Part 107 Pilot can fly any Drone, up to 55 pounds in a Commercial Operation…

Also, for the uninitiated, if you have a drone (any drone, toy or not…) and you are in the USA, you are also required to take The Recreational UAS Safety Test (TRUST) and carry proof of test passage when flying your drone (yes, even a toy drone…).

If you think this is ridiculous, you might not be laughing when your neighbor “Karen” calls the cops because she claims you are videotaping her though her bathroom window when she showers; when in reality, you are just out in your own backyard entertaining the grandkids…

Agree that is possible with all the tort lawsuits that tie up the courts. :roll_eyes: :upside_down_face:

If I were to video my neighbors in the shower, I would need eye bleach. Careful what you wish for.

This was my custom built one off frame 370 sized Quad… really old now… lol
I let my Small UAS Certificate of Registration expire in 12/2018…
I need to get everything legal again and catch up on all the new laws about the hobby…
I only flew where no one was around… And always LOS, but was almost done building a FPV when I had knee replacement…

My son is big into modifying. And flying drones. He probably has about 20 of them that I know of. The day I left to move to Florida he hands me a case to take with me. I asked what it was? he told me it’s one of his drones. this way when he comes to visit, he has something to fly. I opened it once and noticed he had his FAA registration number on the drone. I never got into drones but maybe when he comes down for a visit I will have him teach me to fly.

Got a remote controlled boat for my kid. Use it. Put it away. Next year battery pack is dead. Buy new battery. Repeat. Sitting garage for 10 yrs. Bet battery is dead again.

I’ve still got my radio aircraft license from 1970 but guess I’d need more. Be kinda fun if one could pick me up and I could fly around the neighborhood.

My first thought was back to the 50s when ford was adding seat belts and recessed steering wheels. They wondered whether the public would see fords as unsafe. So if you have to have a fleet of drones to respond to stalled fords, what is the message? So Gm says, we don’t need drones because our cars are dependable. I’d have the ad department get right on it.

Use this, transport your vehicle and you to the shop.

We don’t need no stinken jumper cables.

4 Likes

Not sure what useful help I could get from a drone. I don’t run out of gas, if I need a jump, people nearby can help. It can’t tow my car to service… So what can it do for me?

I’ll keep my favorite rollback tow companie’s number in my cell.

Unfortunately patents these days are often used by US corporations more as ammunition in case of a future patent war with a competitor rather than something they actually think is a good product idea.

All information provided below is true only for the United States.

Nobody can blame me for High-jacking this topic, I started it, it’s mine… So as long as we talk about Fords, Drones, Batteries, and anything else that is loosely associated to these is open season… Enjoy!

If you are talking about your drone registration then you are correct, it does expire. A drone registration (required on all drones, even toys, that weigh more than 250-grams (.55-lbs)) costs $5.00 and is valid for 3-years. If a drone is used for any Commercial Purposes, no matter how small or light it is also must be registered. Drones are registered through this FAA Web Site…

https://faadronezone-access.faa.gov/#/

IF you are talking about your Part 107 Pilots License, it never expires, but it is only valid for 2-years, and then it loses “Currency” (not as in money, but as in Old…) and the holder, the Pilot, must retake a Free course offered by the FAA and pass a test. The purpose is to ensure the Pilot knows the current Rules, Regulations, and Laws. The course and Tests are administrated through this FAA Web Site…

Speaking of “Tort Law” our Legal System has its roots in English Common Law that originated in the early Middle Ages. Back then the rule of the day was: “Cuius est solum, eius est usque ad coelum et ad inferos.” Which loosely translates to: “The owner of the land owns everything up to the sky and down to the center of the earth.” But that is really just the polite translation, it directly translates to: “His alone is his, even to heaven and hell” or as in modern terms: “Whoever owns the soil, it is theirs up to Heaven and down to Hell.”

And how this perception has persisted even today… Several States have passed laws that prevent one from flying Drones and other small aircraft over private property, none of these laws are constitutional and cannot be enforced. But that has not prevented folks from getting charged, their drones confiscated and stuck with various legal fees (lawyers, etc…).

Congress, passed the Air Commerce Act in 1926, and gave the US government jurisdiction over “navigable air space,” or the sky above “minimum safe altitudes of flight” as determined by the federal government. Back then it was to prevent the early aircraft pilots from barnstorming people’s property (scaring the chickens, cows, and horses)… Over the subsequent years, this law has been refined with the advent of Controlled Airspace.

Now, the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) owns and controls all airspace from Ground Level up to 60,000 feet.

There are various levels of Controlled Airspace that surrounds various locations and flying anything might be restricted or even prohibited. These locations include certain municipal properties, like cities, airports, military installations, critical infrastructures, like power plants, bridges, etc… For example, there is a No Fly Zone around Disney World in Florida that states aircraft can be no closer than an altitude of 3,000 feet and a three-mile radius from the center of Magic Kingdom. So No drones are flying there and you cannot hire a helicopter to fly you close enough photograph the family dancing with Mickey…

But I digress, in general there are no flight restriction on Drones in most locations. But there are laws that prohibit nuance behavior or disturbing the peace. For example, if you are flying your drone over your neighbor’s home and you are preventing them from the “quiet enjoyment” of their property, that’s another thing… You can fly your drone over your neighbor’s home if your Drone is just passing over, but no sustained flight (hovering…).

The Police are becoming more and more informed about Drones and where they can legally fly, which also means they know what paperwork the pilot must maintain on their person for themselves and the drones (certificates and registrations…).

If your son’s drone has a Registration, it is probably a larger one (over 250-grams) or he also has a part 107 license. Actually, the law allows you to register any drone. As was noted by @Cavell about dead batteries, you might want to ask your son if his batteries need topping off and how to do it…

My DJI Drone uses what they call, “Smart Batteries…” the battery has circuitry in it that controls the charging of the battery and that circuitry uses battery power to run. If the battery runs down too much, it cannot operate the circuitry to start the re-charge. Not good… but the Smart Battery “talks” to the controller tell me exactly how much battery power remains and how much longer it will fly before the battery goes dead and just lands wherever it happens to be, over a tree, a lake, etc…

And to get this back on track, my neighbor has a Ford Truck, it has a Battery, but I don’t want to Drone on… LoL

3 Likes

Why is that unfortunate?

It makes money for the patent office… none of that is free. And it takes money to keep a patent in force, again putting money into the patent office’s coffers.

Patents are used to protect ideas but also to misdirect the competition.

If you patent everything in a wide design path just because you don’t exactly know which is the right more narrow path, it protects your “space”. If you don’t your competition or a patent troll will.

If you patent things in a different design direction, you might get your competition to waste resources on what you know is the wrong path.

1 Like

America’s patent system main objective is to foster technological innovation, disseminate technical information, and promote technology transfer. Not to misdirect the competition, not to protect their patent space. It gums up the works, slows things down for everyone, when the patent staff are spending time on ammunition for corporate patent wars.

Seeking corporate patents for obvious inventions, inventions the corporation doesn’t intend to use, etc is a relatively new thing. I expect it started to help protect corporations from patent trolls, and evolved from there.

No, that is not it’s main objective. It is, however, to foster technological innovation. Patents exists to protect the inventor’s novel intellectual property from copying by others for the span of 20 years. This promotes the investment in new technology and protects it from being stolen by competitors. It is cheaper to copy technology than to reverse engineer it. If it cannot be protected that limits how much one is willing to spend to develop it.

A patent is much like a copyright that protects an author’s ownership. Although a copyright is in place far longer. Why an author’s work is more important than and engineer or scientist’s work, is a mystery.

Unfortunately, that actually has happened.

Or getting shot down…

I always flew in big open fields when no one was around… but I was also more into speed flying (and crashing lol) then taking aero photos…

Why did I read that in a cockney British accent? Right before they spray your windshield with something that smears grease and gunk all over it and then ask for money.

Try a Baltimore accent. It’s a huge problem there. You don’t pay and they rip your wipers off. Not all of them, but it happens frequently. One of the squegee boys was shot to death by a riled up driver a few months ago. I’ll be sure to avoid those intersections when I visit my daughter in downtown Charm City.