Ford Taurus modell -89

I have this Taurus 3.0L sedan.

But dont know does it have timingbelt or a chain?

If someone knows…please tell me.

My “Gates Timing Belt” book says that the 1989 Taurus SHO 3.0 V6 uses a T248 Timing Belt and it should be changed every 100k miles.

Thats what I thought…but not surely. I have then 55000miles left :slight_smile:
Thanks to you

Holy cow - NO you don’t. All timing belt intervals go by time or mileage. If that is the original timing belt then it is over 20 years old and it is a small miracle that it is still on the car.

The TIME interval for replacement is probably something like 6 years. So you’re only about 15 years overdue…

Do yourself a favor and find an owner’s manual for the car and buy a Haynes or Chilton’s repair manual. You might not ever do any repairs (I don’t know) but these two things answer an awful lot of questions.

I have then 55000miles left

Maybe not. The requirement to replace belts is specified both in miles and years of age. Aging deteriorates timing belts.

Without looking it up, I would guess the full replacement requirement for your belt is something like “100k miles or 7 years, which ever comes first”.

You should find out what the age requirement is, see if it applies to you, and then take it seriously.

If it’s a regular Taurus, the 3.0 Vulcan V6 OHV has a chain, the SHO V6 (DOHC?) has a belt.

Ed B.

The 3.0 uses a chain and it’s generally good for the life of the car unless the oil seldom gets changed.

Yea great

Anyway…its very difficult job to change the timing belt. Air-conditioner fill the whole engineroom.