Ford Taurus 2005

I am driving a Ford Taurus SE 2005 Model with 52,000 mi on it. Recently like 2 days ago I am having a emmision control light on so what does it mean and what is the solution for it?

Now that’s a good question. It’s unfortunate that your answer will depend totally upon what type of code the computer has stored. With a fairly new car such as that, and only 52K miles, the first thing to check is your gas cap to ensure it is on tightly. Other than that, you need to get your computer read with a scan-type of tool usually provided free of charge at some after market car parts stores. There are a lot of things it could be, so if you find your gas gap is tight and the gas cap seal is in good shape, get your code read and post back here.

Get the ECM module scanned and let us know what the codes are. We can help you figure out what is wrong from there. Auto parts chain stores like Advance or Autozone have scanners for loan - no cost. Just call ahead to make sure they have one and it works. You scan the codes, and they will read the scanner. You will get a printout with the codes on it. They will also discuss the codes with you and sell you the parts they believe are most likely to trip those codes.

The trouble code revealed by the scan will indicate what CIRCUIT to troubleshoot. It WON’T mean to change that part; but, to check and test it. Don’t change parts blindly.

Yes I took my car to repair shop and they didnt provide me the code but I read that code on the scanner P0300. If somebody knows what that code means what is the solution for it and how much it costs.

Here is but just one of hundreds of definitions you can find when you Google P0300 on the internet. As you will see, it could be one of many possibilities. You might luck out and it could be something as simple as “bad gas”. Your pump might have sucked up a patch of water, and that could throw a P0300 code. At this point, you can clear the light and see if it comes back on, or keep driving if everything seems normal and the light is steady, and if it was bad gas, the light will reset itself after a predetermined number of drive cycles.

"What does that mean?Basically this means that the the car’s computer has detected that not all of the engine’s cylinders are firing properly.

A P0300 OBD DTC code indicates a random or multiple misfire. If the last digit is a number other than zero, it corresponds to the cylinder number that is misfiring. A P0302 code, for example, would tell you cylinder number two is misfiring. Unfortunately, a P0300 doesn’t tell you specifically which cylinder(s) is/are mis-firing, nor why.

SymptomsSymptoms may include:
the engine may be harder to start
the engine may stumble / stumble, and/or hesitate
other symptoms may also be present
CausesA code P0300 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:

Faulty spark plugs or wires
Faulty coil (pack)
Faulty oxygen sensor(s)
Faulty fuel injector(s)
Burned exhaust valve
Faulty catalytic converter(s)
Stuck/blocked EGR valve / passages
Faulty camshaft position sensor
Defective computer
Possible SolutionsIf there are no symptoms, the simplest thing to do is to reset the code and see if it comes back.

If there are symptoms such as the engine is stumbling or hesitating, check all wiring and connectors that lead to the cylinders (i.e. spark plugs). Depending on how long the ignition components have been in the car, it may be a good idea to replace them as part of your regular maintenance schedule. I would suggest spark plugs, spark plug wires, distributor cap, and rotor (if applicable). Otherwise, check the coils (a.k.a. coil packs). In some cases, the catalytic converter has gone bad. If you smell rotten eggs in the exhaust, your cat converter needs to be replaced. I’ve also heard in other cases the problems were faulty fuel injectors.

Random misfires that jump around from one cylinder to another (read: P030x codes) also will set a P0300 code. The underlying cause is often a lean fuel condition, which may be due to a vacuum leak in the intake manifold or unmetered air getting past the airflow sensor, or an EGR valve that is stuck open.