Ford Ranger will not start

I have a 2003 Ford Ranger 4X4 4L AUTO. About once every 6 months it will not start. It cranks just fine but doesn’t fire. After about 45 min. it start and runs great for an other 6 Months. I have replace the plugs, wires, distributer cap but it hasn’t helped the problem. It has had this problem when it is cold and warmed up. Does anyone have a suggestion.

You have to identify which part of the triad isn’t working.

• Spark: Do you observe a spark at the spark plugs?

• Fuel: Is fuel being delivered to the intake manifold?

• Timing: Is the timing between the spark and the crankshaft correct? Is the timing between the crank and valves correct.

One or more of the above has a problem. You’ll have to find out which.

The easiest of the three is the spark, and that is where I’d start if this was my truck. Best of luck.

if this vehicle has what i know as a “pick up coil”? under the distributor cap … id start there
you can ohm test it if i remember it

then again that was back in the 90’s

Shoot some aerosol carburetor cleaner into the intake tract and see if it will start and run for a few seconds. This will at least point you in a general direction because there’s a myriad of things that could cause a no-start condition.

Scanning for codes is also something for consideration. The chain type auto parts stores will do this for you free and that can possibly steer you towards something if there are any codes present.
I think that the parts houses charge for this if you live in California or Hawaii due to state government mandates.

Trade it while it’s running. Try to determine if it’s humidity related.